WD-40 debate.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
WD-40 debate.

I keep reading about using WD-40 in and on inkjet printers with and wonder if there is more than one kind of WD-40.
The WD-40 I have is an oil base water-displacing spray that will not mix with water and appears to set not dissolve inkjet ink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Warning: WD-40 should not be used around anyone with allergies, asthma, or sensitivities to solvents.

Perform this simple test and decide for yourself.

Take a color print on plain paper and cut it in half.

Outside in a well-ventilated area spray one half with WD-40 and see what happens.
Now pour warm water on this same piece of paper and watch the water bead and run off just like a freshly waxed car.

Take the other half of the color print and put it in the sink and rum warm water on it and watch what happens.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I would vote no on WD-40 for printers. Possibly light lubrication, but for that I would be more likely to choose a light grease.

Personally, I wouldn't even entertain the thought of WD on a printhead.
It is, however, a proven gamefish attractant :D

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Ron350,

I sprayed my WD-40 on a piece of paper towel and it has the characteristic smell of isopropyl alcohol and according to wikipedia this not one of the supposed ingredients in its formula. Maybe there are several formulae for different markets, since I do live in Europe.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
To be honest I can't think of any reason to use WD-40 in an inkjet printer...

It's purpose is to dilute and help assist with any existing lubrication in situations like seized bolts, etc... Some folks use it as a lubricant which it isn't really.. Much better to use 3 in 1 oil and WD-40 in combination.. but I digress..

I can't think of a single reason to use them in an inkjet printer... the rod which the carriage unit slides back and forth on needs grease, not oil! and given that a lubricant traditionally repells water, why would you put it in a printer that uses water or some facsimile of it, to print with?!!

Odd!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
WD40 was developed by the US Navy and stands for Water Displacement and their 40th formula from what I've been told. It does work well on salt water fishing reels and prevents rusting. It is correct that it is not technically a lubricant, but it does help to unsieze stuck bolts.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
fotofreek said:
WD40 was developed by the US Navy and stands for Water Displacement and their 40th formula from what I've been told. It does work well on salt water fishing reels and prevents rusting. It is correct that it is not technically a lubricant, but it does help to unsieze stuck bolts.
Learned something new... Thanks for that :)

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
And an older MSDS states the contents as being

NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM),
HYDROTREATED HEAVY MINERAL OIL
CARBON DIOXIDE (spray can only)

cjm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Impact dot matrix printers use a continuous ribbon saturated with an oil based ink. The oil lubricates the printhead. When the print becomes light, you can open the ribbon cartridge and spray WD-40 on the ribbon to revitalize it. Let it sit overnight for the oil to soak evenly through the ribbon. It works about 3 or 4 times per ribbon. Don't put oil of any kind in an inkjet printhead. Their ink is waterbased. Oil and Water don't mix. HTH, John

tmierzwa

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I worked for a company in Buffalo New York who bought WD-40 by the barrel. We mixed the WD with very light mineral oil in a ratio of 4 parts WD to 1 mineral oil and used it in an automatic chain oiler on all the bisque lines. The chains went through a gas heated tunnel and glazing spray. NEVER did the chain seize up! All the rollers rotated. WD is good as a solvent, but not as a lubricant.