Waste ink almost full

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
My Canon Ip1200 just flashed me a waste ink tank almost full message. I remember I wrecked my Ip1000 trying to fix this, I'd like to avoid this now if at all possible.

Any ideas? Is there a way to reset this 'sensor' or something?

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
This is weird and annoying. Now I have to press the RESUME button BEFORE and AFTER printing. Is there a way to turn this "waste ink absorber almost full" message off?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Although I have not had this problem, I have read that the printer will soon go into a mode that locks it up, and you will not be able to simply reset the full waste ink tank setting. All of these printers have codes that can be used to reset the waste ink counter to zero. You might google your particular printer waste ink code for this function. Someone on this forum may have the specific code for your printer. Several canon printer codes for resetting this function have been posted to this forum, but I don't know if they would work on this model.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Yes, that 'lock up' mode is what scares me. I think I'll have to bring this to a Canon repair center to reset the counter, wherever the darn thing is. What I don't like most is having to pay $$$ for something I'm not even sure if the guy in the store knows how to do properly.

Found many 'procedures' to reset the waste ink counter, but none work for my printer, unfortunately. When I had my IP 1000, even that IP 1000 reset code didn't work. Grr!!!

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Okay, I found a zip named "ip1600st" that unzips a folder named "iP1600ServiceToolV129" and starting up the .exe file gives me a program called "GeneralTool for T22240/32245/22234 Ver1.29" Apparently, this is from this site, specifically, this page.

Just my bad luck I don't speak russian. Does anyone know how to use this tool? I presume other Canon service tools look just like this:

ip1600st.gif

If so, then can anyone clue me into what does what? I don't want to mess with 'unknown technology' that might fry my printer. Of course, the site has a little english translation, good enough to make me reset my waste in counter (woot!!), but what do the other functions do?

Apparently, an IP 1200, IP 1600, and IP 2200 are considered the "same" printer by Canon.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Copy the Russian text in the site at Babel fish, thats where most people go to translate stuff into their language

Terry

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Yes, the instructions are enough for me to do what I needed to do (clear waste ink tank message/counter), but now that I have this tool, I'm curious what the other function does. Anybody got an instruction manual for this thing, or for something like this?

hank freid news

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Like many others I have just received an error message telling me that my waste ink absorber is almost full on my Canon S900 inkjet printer. I found the suggestion from DaWeed B very useful but I wondered how difficult it is to clean the sponge pad. I can see this pad under the printer head. Do you need to remove it and wash it out? I have changed the printer head in the past which is very simple but imagine that removing the pad will be a very messy job. How easy is this? Is there much dismantling to be done? I am fairly good with with DIY jobs. I tested this pad using a cotton bud but it did not seem to be that full although the cotton bud did soak up some of the ink. It is suggested to remove the print head before resetting the printer code and I have read the suggested series of actions but when do you replace the print head, is it after action (6) Press power to set data. I did not need to reset the code after changing the Print Head but assume that I need to reset it after cleaning the sponge pad? Would appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
hank freid news said:
Like many others I have just received an error message telling me that my waste ink absorber is almost full on my Canon S900 inkjet printer. I found the suggestion from DaWeed B very useful but I wondered how difficult it is to clean the sponge pad. I can see this pad under the printer head. Do you need to remove it and wash it out? I have changed the printer head in the past which is very simple but imagine that removing the pad will be a very messy job. How easy is this? Is there much dismantling to be done? I am fairly good with with DIY jobs. I tested this pad using a cotton bud but it did not seem to be that full although the cotton bud did soak up some of the ink. It is suggested to remove the print head before resetting the printer code and I have read the suggested series of actions but when do you replace the print head, is it after action (6) Press power to set data. I did not need to reset the code after changing the Print Head but assume that I need to reset it after cleaning the sponge pad? Would appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.
This is just a general reply based on the fact that i did this operation once on a Canon 6200.
Before you start make sure you are in possession of the Waste Tank Full Re-set procedure for your printer , and that you understand the required steps. You can even go straight ahead and do it if you want. see next sentence.
Please note it is possible to carry out this procedure without having done anything to physically cleaning or replacing the full ink pad. Some people just do a re-set and hope the pad will soak up a fair bit more before overflowing. But this carries a risk of spoiling the area underneath the printer, and needs constant monitoring.

Yes there is a fair bit of dismantling to do to get at the large felt pad that occupies 50% of the floor pan area of the machine
This involves taking apart machine case components and electrical assemblies.
Yes it is very messy and should be done out of the house, several pairs of latex gloves and access to running water and a drain to wash into.
Or you can look at what the pad is made out of ...and make a pattern replacement and fit that. Then go and clean the dirty one and keep for the next time it is needed.

Yes it is possible to do yourself , and you get a good deal of satisfaction , but unless I really loved the printer and didnt want a newer model , I would avoid doing it , especially the dismantling and cleaning bit.
Good Luck !