If anyone in the UK is selling one, please get in touch

Ian

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are a few details to observe when you look around - Ebay etc. That spectro comes with different revision levels hardwarewise - don't get a Rev A, that's the oldest and with a lower sample frequency than Rev B-D. The Rev level is printed onto the small equipment label underneath the spectro.
The spectro comes in 2 versions - with or without a UV cut filter which gives you slightly different readings on papers with a high opt. brightener contents, the version w/o the UV filter does not directly read at UV wavelengths but would see an increase in the blue spectrum indicating the existence of OB's.

And some used spectros on the market are used up, worn out, it is the lamp in the illumination system which dies slowly, it is an incandescant halogen lamp with is tuned to a specific color temperature via the calibration tile in the holder.
There is a i1Pro diagnostics software available by X-Rite which the seller can run and provide you a copy of, it shows the usage statistics which you can compare between different models.
Give me a few days, I'll run that report on my old decommissioned unit and let you know. And if you look to Ebay, closing prices vary widely over some time - like 2 months.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The i1 Diagnostics are available here:
http://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/I/i1Diagnostics_v4_1_2

I hve attached a diag. file of my old i1Pro which does not work very well anymore, there are some
numbers almost at the top of the report - lamp burning time - spot and scan counts .

Get a unit with usage numbers much below mine - at max half of them (depending on the actual price
and your intended usage), I'm using my spectro - a 2nd one - a lot - in combination with a i1iO scan table to automate it all.

Attachments

• i1Pro Diag.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 470

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Ink stained Fingers gives some good information.

There is more to be aware of when purchasing a used spectrophotometer. For instance, if the lenses of the unit are not properly cleaned then diagnostics will be compromised. Likewise for a unit that needs calibration before use. Age of the unit also takes a toll on the performance of the unit and is why X-Rite recommended to send the unit in for factory cleaning, testing and recertification (yearly per X-Rite, though I doubt most everyone on the forum does that).

http://blog.xrite.com/caring-for-your-spectrophotometer/

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Thanks for the advice, I may need to think about this seriously before buying second hand from an unknown source

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hallo Ian (and Ink Stained Fingers...)

just a week after I bought a used i1Pro2 - been used totally six hours and from 2014 - then .... I got a notice from Ebay that I had won i completely unused i1pro "Basic Pro" set in an unopened box (forgot that auction...). It's a Rev D - no filter. So now I'm sitting here with those two instruments.
I have decided to keep the i1Pro2 - it was just used to trace colours in some plastic production quality test in a factory lab.

The Ebay i1Pro- contains spot-dapter, monitor holder, diffuser and a complete "reading-board" with the ruler.. etc. All is there.
I broke the seal and opened the box to control it with "X-Rite i1Diagnostics". Everything worked and went through the test - total lamp use was 29 sec. - that is I think how long it took to make the test. That is - it's in newest condition in its bag and all. Looks great.

I want €350 for it plus p&h. from Sweden. (You may try to put it down some £'s...)

If You are not interested - someone else here might be....but I first offer it to Ian!

Hallo Ink stained Fingers!!!
Saw your heavy use of your instrument above and did read somewhere else that You bought a new i1Pro2 Publish with a 30%discount.
Congrats.

Now - what I miss is for my keeper are the diffuser, monitor-holder and spot-reader add-ons. I1pro add ons fits i1pro2 add ons.
Are You willing to sell those three add-ons for a good fee if you are getting rid of your old spectro?????

/berserk

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
even better - I got the i1Publish at 30% of the sales price - I saved 70%.
But I still need both spectros - I didn't get the i1iO robot table upgraded yet, so I need the i1Pro to read the patches and the i1Pro2 as the license dongle to run the i1 software to create the profiles.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
To Ian,

- The new i1Pro is for ArgyllCMS.
If You do it the ArgyllCMS-way You will go through a steep learning curve. Well worth it - it will teach You other things as well as of "colour handling" and understanding the whole process.

That said - ArgyllCMS is better than i1profiler.
You will have total control and if interested You can go far behind X-Rite softs.

However never expect to make a 1 to 1 copy of your super photos. Printers do not have that gamma and colour-space as the rest of your equipment.

The old Kodachrome 64 did much better!