Using the Colormunki with Argyll targets

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 2400, 1400, 3520, 410
When measuring Argyll targets with a Colormunki, I use an old T-square from my paper drafting days and a small flat top table with a fairly straight edge on it. Once I align the printed columns with the edge of the T-square, I tape the target down with Scotch removable tape. I then can center the Colormunki on each column using the USB connector on it. I currently use target size of approximately 8mm x 8mm.

My T-square has an edge height of about 3mm, so I can maintain a snug ride against it while measuring without shifting. Works for me!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Inventive thinking, now all you have got to do is motorise it. :)

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
No problem....

I am using a roll-around microwave oven cart I picked up at a rummage sale. I tape a piece of no OBA, neutral white chipboard on top. The T-square rides nicely along the edges. My target gets taped to the white chipboard with the removable tape after aligning the columns with the T-square edge.

In the center picture, yes, it's a cat food bowl in the bottom left corner and the aluminum bar on the right is my Dahl 440 rotary paper cutter hanging on the side of the cart.

In case anyone's interested, I was profiling Red River Ultra Pro Gloss paper with inexpensive (Chinese) dye inks on my Epson 1400. It was printed with Wingp (Gutenprint compiled for Windows) at 5760x1440. 1600 patches with a pre-profile and the -N parameter for extra patches around the neutral axis. The gamut volume was a tad over 700,000 with a black point of L=5. I must confess, I do use Lyson Fotonic black dye ink.

Attachments

• T-Square.jpg
    T-Square.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 514

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I suppose it might be possible to use an old A3 printer as a target reader. Replace the print head with a CM Photo and a mechanism to keep the button pressed when required. Devise a document to print at the right speed and pattern. Put the target in the rear tray and Bob's your uncle.​

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mechanizing the scanning process wouldn't allow for the Zen time I get doing it manually. :)