Used Canon MP530 a good buy?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to archive a few printers to be able to continue re-filling (German method). I have a nice, running ip4200 and 2x NEW ip4200's in storage. Are used Canon MP530's a good idea? I see 2 on local CL for $50 and $25 each. I think the printheads are the same on the ip4200....which have worked very well.

If I buy, do I clean out the printheads of all ink in some way, for storage? I assume a nozzle printout is the best way to tell if a used machine is OK (along with a mechanical check)?

Thanks for any advice! Fred

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
When you go to check out these printers, you should take along some full cartridges because in my experience, people selling printers oftentimes have quit using them because they are out of ink and you won't even be able to do a nozzle check if that happens. There's a good chance the printers have been sitting somewhere unplugged for many months, so expect some clogged nozzles, especially the pigment black.

Also, take some paper.

With an AIO, test the copy feature and make sure the seller hasn't left a document on the platen.

I remove the ink from a print head before storing it. With chipped cartridges, I would remove the ink from a set of cartridges so that they are dry and resest them so that you can do deep cleanings to get the ink out of the print head.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
hi, gh

I knew to take along ink, but didn't think about paper. When you remove the ink, do you use the Windex mixture, or distilled or tapwater.....or something else? Do you try to dry afterwards to get water out of the nozzles?

Thanks for the help!

Fred

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'm still using the unchipped BCI-6 cartridges which allow the printer to do cleanings and nozzle checks without having any cartridges in the printer. With CLI-8, the next best thing you can do is dry cartridges that have been reset. If you use something like Windex or water, you will not be able to tell when the print head is dry.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Never though about dry cartridges. I guess I thought that the ink cooled the nozzles so they wouldn't burn up! I assumed you might just blow air through the nozzles to dry them.

Thanks again,

Fred

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You're not going to damage the nozzles during the brief intervals of deep cleanings and nozzle checks. Some people blow air through their print heads but I think there is a risk to blowing ink inside places where it doesn't belong or damaging seals inside the print head. I always take the viewpoint of letting the printer take care of itself. It is designed to tolerate no ink flow during cleanings and nozzle checks, otherwise, if you have clogged nozzles, you shouldn't try to clean them, correct?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I think you are right! I'll probably just dedicate a set of extra cartridges for this........and could always refill them with ink if needed.

Sure appreciate the help,
Fred