Used Canon i860 - storage suggestions

nelda

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was out bargin hunting at the garage sales yesterday, and purchased a used Canon i860.

I actually purchased it from my next door neighbor for $5.00 (don't you love garage sales!). She only used original Canon cartridges in it (but not always the right ones! - see below). She has not used it for at least 3-4 months. It did not have the power cord (I am to get it when/if she finds it). I was able to power it up with the power cord from my i5000. It seems to work fine after cleaning. She had a set of Canon orginal cartridges (almost empty), the BCI-6 black cartridge, and the rest BCI-3e (large black, yellow, magenta, and cyan). I ran a nozzle chack, and of course, it did not print well for the colors. I switched out the cartridges for some Hobbicolors that I had (BCI-3e for large black, the others all BCI-6), cleaned the printhead with windex, ran a cleaning cycle and the nozzle chack looks perfect. I printed ut a few 4x6s with good results (maybe a little less vivid than the 4x6s from my i5000. I am assuming this may be due to some residual ink?)

Some questions that I am sure some of you know right off the bat:

1. Are the power cables universal for Canon? Should I worry about using the power cord from the i5000?

2. Where can I get a cheap extra power cord?

3. I purchased this as an "extra" printer and I don't plan on using it now at all. Is there something special that I should do for storage? Should I take out the cartridges and clean the print head and then store the dry pinthead in the printer? I will use the cartridges in my other printer (it uses the same set) so I am only worried about the storage of the printhead. I do have a vacuum sealer (for kitchen use) so I can vacuum seal the printhead if that is recommended. I have the options of sealing in a bag, or container (a small mason canning jar).

4. Is it possible to flush out the 3e cartridges and use them with BCI-6 hobbicolors ink without problems, or is this a potential problem and not worth the bother (any one want them?)

5. Should I expect any long-term affects from the use of the BCI-3e cartridges (instead of the BCI-6 for yellow, cyan, magenta)? Anything else that I should do now?

6. I am considering using this printer now for a while (use up a complete set of Hobbicolors cartridges) to try to avoid any potential damage to the printhead from the BCI-3e use. Any thoughts?

TIA for any thoughts or suggestions! You're a wonderful resource and I love to pick your brains!