Use CLI-521's in CLI-526 printers?

MeBrains

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just bought 20 replacement CLI-521 / PGI-520 cartridges for my MP640 which went dead between the ink order and the order's arrival.

Ordered a new K30304 power supply, but that did not cut it. So I bought a new MG5350 for 99.

Question is: is there any way to use the MP640 cartridges in the MG5350 model? Would they be recognized correctly, do I need to move the chips of the original, opaque CLI-526 cartridges to the replacement CLI-521's? Something else? :/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry to hear of the loss of your MP640, but look on the bright side you now have load of cartridges.

Sort out a set of 521 cartridges then purge them of ink, dry and then refill,
when your current set of 526s are empty reset the chip on them and then swap the chips one by one over to the 521 set.

Youre also going to need a resetter for your 525 chips, that it.

Happy Refilling..:)

MeBrains

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks Hat... it does feel as a loss, I was really quite happy with it. I started Canon with the BJ-20 (or was that the cartridge), moved up to the IP4000R, which I handed over to my dad when the need for scanning and copying became more urgent, bought an MP640 and now replaced it with an MG5350, which seems to be exactly in-line with the MP640 it replaces...

I have further questions to your reply though, please bear with me...

Why do I need to purge the 521 (MP640) cartridges of ink prior to using them? They are brand new...

Can I move the chip from the original 525 (MG5350) cartridges to the 521 (MP640) cartridges and reset them to be able to use them?

I am not really into refilling. I would either sell the 521's or rechip (and reset) them to use as is. Do i need to cut things away from the 521's?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry my mistake I was under the impression that you had bought empty OEM cartridges to use later.

So what I can gather is that you have purchased a load of aftermarket 521 cartridges NEW
and want to use them in your current 5350 printer.:old

Moving the chip from one cart to another is very simple and there is very little cutting involved,
here is a link to that post that deals with this very subject.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631

A resetter is not essential but it makes life so much easier to have one
which gives you full control of your ink monitoring just like fitting a new cartridge every time..:)

MeBrains

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks again hat! :D

so I wait until the 526 cartridges that came with the printer are up and transplant the chip from the finished 526 to the new 521 compatibles, following the guide you linked to? That is all there is to it then?

what happens if I do not reset the chip at that time? does the ink monitoring tool cease to function?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MeBrains said:
thanks again hat! :D

so I wait until the 526 cartridges that came with the printer are up and transplant the chip from the finished 526 to the new 521 compatibles, following the guide you linked to? That is all there is to it then?

what happens if I do not reset the chip at that time? does the ink monitoring tool cease to function?
Failure to reset your cartridge chips will mean that all ink monitoring will be solely down to you (Manual controlled).

It isnt a huge problem and many guys use that method but you must check them regularly to be sure
that you dont run out, your ink usage will go up using this method also.

A resetter is about the price of one cartridge and is well worth the investment,
besides its ten times cheaper than a new print head.

You have to remember you have a Canon printer which will not tolerate printing with a dry print head
unlike its Epson cousin which uses a completely different type of print head altogether, so be extra careful..