Up steps 3D to the Rescue....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I’m back making things again, this time it’s an attachment for a new garden tap I’ve just installed, the tap had unusual threads on it, I couldn’t get the imperial or metre couplers that I had to fit and I was Fecked if I was trapesing back to the wholesalers just for a special adapter.

All dough it took a bit of time to figure it out and find a nut on thingiverse.com that I could alter and adjust to fit, I was then able to make curved piping for the middle bit and was lucky again to found the correct Hozelock coupler on thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:905761
Capture.JPG 905761... Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg Click to enlarge..

Sometime when putting two STL files together
in OpenSCAD, it doesn’t work out, and one object tends to cancel the other out, some sort of conflict I reckon, so @Redbrickman suggested sending them to him and he’d join them using Simply3d slicer.. but thankfully it wasn’t necessary this time..

I love the crazy world of 3D printers…

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
BRILLIANT! Great design work!!

Just a couple of days ago I needed to combine two water hoses of different sizes. I designed (no nearly as nice as yours) and printed up an adapter and was in business!

Yup, 3D printing can be pretty epic!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sometimes when you make something it doesn’t do the job it was intended to do.
This was the case with my hose pipe attachment, when I went to use it, the garden hose keep falling off when I increase the water pressure to full.
So it was back to the drawing board and I quickly discovered the problem, I tried cutting and filing the attachment but could never get to work 100%, I soon made another one and it work as intended (Fully tested) ..
P.S. If everything worked first time it would take some of the fun out of making things..
hose.jpg click to enlarge...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
P.S. If everything worked first time it would take some of the fun out of making things..
You must have a LOT of fun then. :gig

Congrats on the attachment. :thumbsup

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Sometimes when you make something it doesn’t do the job it was intended to do.
This was the case with my hose pipe attachment, when I went to use it, the garden hose keep falling off when I increase the water pressure to full.
So it was back to the drawing board and I quickly discovered the problem, I tried cutting and filing the attachment but could never get to work 100%, I soon made another one and it work as intended (Fully tested) ..
View attachment 11152 click to enlarge...
Wow, how did you design that!?!? Did you print in PLA? Does it hold-up pretty well outside in the sun, etc?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Does it hold-up pretty well outside in the sun, etc?
I’m not having any issues with PLA out in the sun, I usually spray everything I print with a clear lacquer or like with PLA black, I use black lacquer paint and that keeps it weather proof.. Storm proof now that’s another thing.. New design pending..:)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Never say Never..
I was so quick at installing the last hose pipe connector that I forgot to spray it properly, it was the colour change that brought it to my attention, that’s when I decide to print another one and do a bit of redesigning to it. Things can alway be improved..

When it was finished, I used a lacquer spray coating again, but this time went for a white colour so I’ll know it's got better protection and should last far longer than the red one did, but only time will tell…

If I have to print another one sometime in the future I will, nothing lasts for ever, not in direct sun anyway...
Untitled-104.jpg Untitled-103.jpg

Untitled-101.jpg click to enlarge..
I’ll post another Pic here when I have it in place..

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Excellent update, thanks!... and fantastic design. I'm very impressed :)

I've been curious how the filaments, specifically PLA will do in exposure to sunlight. My experience has been mixed, but mostly not great. I'm not sure how much of the degradation is due to sun vs. moisture... or a combo of all things outside.

I liked these two videos from Angus regarding PLA outside:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I was able to place the new Hose clip onto the water outlet this morning despite a bit of rain, I also touched up any spots where I taught it needed a bit more paint..

Now let’s see how long this one lasts.

tap on pipe.jpg tap 2 on pipe.jpg click to enlarge..

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Easy solution : use polycarbonate or nylon instead of PLA.
(I didn't say cheap or friendly to print :p )
Seriously, you should consider PETg for outdoor use. It looks rough compared to PLA but I bet it will last ,much longer. It's more flexible as well, standing better occasional mishandling.

Congrats for the great design of these hoses. I gather you used Openscad ?

P.S. If you fetched a spool of Flex, you could print the O-rings too. ;)

Last edited: