Unwanted wide border

Iaon Robertson

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG 2950
Hi guys, I am using a Canon MG2950 printer.
The problem I have (and have had for a long time) is that when I print a photo (no matter the size of paper, or what sort of camera I use) I always get one border which is about three times the width of the others, it is driving me crazy as I am at the point where I need some good prints.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@laon Robertson, regardless of which printer you are using, a print doesn’t go off centre by itself or made to do so by the printer.

We should look at the Application your using for that, because that’s where your problem lies, in it not delivering the correct image cordinence to the printer, some final settings must be incorrect.

You wouldn’t be using a Mac by any Chance ?
Capture4.PNG

The sample supplied was displayed in PhotoShop.
@Roy Sletcher, Please excuse me using your POW for this demonstration...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@Iaon Robertson could you upload a scan or photo of one of the not centred prints?

I tried printing some test images on 4" x 6" photo paper using Canon the two cartridge MP270 and the five cartridge MP800. Both printers have wider border at the bottom when printed in portrait orientation.

Here is a preview from Windows using the MP270:

MP270 Testprint.jpg

Notice that the bottom border at the right is wider than the top border at the left.

Here is a scan of the print It is a bit difficult to see but the wider bottom border matches the preview perfectly. I think the problem might be caused by differences in aspect ratio for the image and the photo paper. More Canon printers do this.

MP270 Testprint1.jpg

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

No Problem.

I am flattered and don't mind anybody on this site using any image I post.

All I request is the image be used for PERSONAL NOT COMMERCIAL USE.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
No Problem.
I am flattered and don't mind anybody on this site using any image I post.

All I request is the image be used for PERSONAL NOT COMMERCIAL USE.
rs
Ops... sorry is this considered commercial... :idunno :lol:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ops... sorry is this considered commercial... :idunno :lol:

NO, Not commercial - That is personal use. Sorry for any confusion.

I consider commercial use when they are offered for resale, or resold to another party for money.

My concept is that I have no problem with people using the images for their own use. Just don't want anybody trying to profit from them.

I know it is unlikely, and this is a well behaved site, but it is the internet, and strange things happen.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I know it is unlikely, and this is a well behaved site, but it is the internet, and strange things happen.
Roy, like all sites and forums, if you check the rules here, you’ll find that Nifty owns all photos posted, BUT that still doesn’t give any individual the right to reuse your photos without permission, and certainly not commercially.
I have seen some of my photos from here turn up on websites..:hide

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Roy, like all sites and forums, if you check the rules here, you’ll find that Nifty owns all photos posted, BUT that still doesn’t give any individual the right to reuse your photos without permission, and certainly not commercially.
I have seen some of my photos from here turn up on websites..:hide

A very complex subject I don't want to really get into now Mainly because my knowledge is limited.

What I do know is that here is a big difference between owning the copyright of an image and the physical possession of an image or its likeness in whatever format. I am not sure where the rules, terms and conditions are posted on this site but I am pretty sure that is Mr Nifty owns the file uploaded here it is very unlikely he holds the full copyright to the image. Again I am no expert, and this is a complicated area. If this site was in the business of stealing copyrights, they would not be wasting their time with my images. ;)

I too have had my images turn up in strange places without permission. One instance that still burns me from many years ago. I took some images at a local Orchid show, I was approached by an individual asking if a couple be used for advertising for a non-profit group. I took everybody at their word and agreed. Not only did the pics appear in the non-profit flyers but I found out later they charged another party money (Trivial amount admittedly) to put them on a web site. Lesson learned.

As an amateur is nice only having to please myself with the images. I have so many talented friends who produce outstanding images that only an idiot would want to rip of my images. - See Para above

Rant off.

rs

Iaon Robertson

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG 2950
@laon Robertson, regardless of which printer you are using, a print doesn’t go off centre by itself or made to do so by the printer.

We should look at the Application your using for that, because that’s where your problem lies, in it not delivering the correct image cordinence to the printer, some final settings must be incorrect.

You wouldn’t be using a Mac by any Chance ?
View attachment 4814

Thanks for that, I am ripping my hair out now going through various settings without luck. I am at the moment trying to print off some 4"x6" landscape but have three borders of 5mm and the right hand border is 15mm. I have tried borderless but does not work either. Thanks for the advice, I will as they say soldier on.