Ultrasonic cleaning of inkjet cartridges

rohmell

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am considering the purchase of an ultrasonic cleaner to try to experimentally rejuvenate clogged inkjet cartridges. I am hoping that the ultrasonic action will be able to break down the clogged, dried ink in the jets and disperse then into solution.
Previously, I have had great success just having the cartridges sit in a solvent solution and allow Brownian movent and capilliary action do the work overnite, but I want to see if ultrasonic cleaning methods would expedite the process.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?
Thanks,
Rohmell

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
For canon bci-6 carts all you need is about $5 worth of parts from a hardware store, grandad35's purge technique, and a hot water faucet. Quick, easy, and totally effective.

cell n care

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
how can i solve the problem cause when refil hp20
after refilling it i find that the cartridge is leaking

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I used an ultrasonic cleaner to try to unclog a partially blocked ip4000 printhead that had not responded to any passive soaking techniques. The printhead went from partially clogged to completely non-working. I think the cleaner was too harsh for it. I had loosened the ceramic head from the holder and cleaned it that way. BTW a new printhead fixed all problems :).
Ultrasonic cleaning of the ink cartridges (without a printhead) might help break up any dried ink, but I think the purge method with hot water would work as well.

Steve W.

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an ultrasonic cleaner for jewelries and eyeglass etc., I use it on HP cartridges
and find it very effective, yet this cleaner is deadly when applied to Canon print heads
like the BC 20, or the print head on i560s, I think the reason behind that is those
print head that have molds inside a plastic support will not withstand the cleaners vibration
whereas the HPs are made out of metal. That is why you can clean the Canon PG40
without damaging the cartridge.

R-JetTek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
An Ultrasonic is a good rework tool. There are so many varying types of ultrasonic cleaners. Find one that runs at about 45 MHz frequency. Make sure that the liquid/solution is filled to the suggested level. Differing that could change the frequency. Plus, dipping the nozzles in the liquid for 5-10 seconds at a time is suitable.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Is that a typo? 45MHz is not ultrasonic - it's in the RF bands.