Ultrasonic cleaning: Experts needed

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
One topic that crops up a lot is that of ultrasonic cleaning of printheads and from my very limited experience, with a Canon iP4000 printhead, it's very, very easy to get things horribly wrong and effectively fubar the whole thing.

So, I'm putting out a call to arms for those experienced in this dark art or those who simply can't resist a challenge to learn something new ([heavy_irony]can't think of too many folk like that on here![/heavy_irony]).

Anyone care to take this up and go with it?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@websnail when you’re looking in my direction, aim higher because I ain’t being suckered into deliberately testing any of my print heads to destruction so you can say.. Told you so ha ha. :plbb

Now I am sure there are many more who would be willing to forfeit their print head in the cause of furthering the knowledge of this forum just for the bragging rights and a rubber medal of merit of course.:ya

So I recommend you try it yourself because I trust you to give a good and honest account of your findings before you toss the knackered head in the nearest bin.. :D

P.S. Going to a good Home half a dozen various duff print heads that were sacrificed in the name of stupidity on my behalf over the past few years.:woot

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Oh no, you misunderstand oh great hypocritical one ;)

I was seeking a GENUINE expert who has a proper understanding of Ultrasonics and how we might apply them (or not) to the use of unclogging printheads.

I do indeed have plenty of printheads that can act as candidates but I'd rather get some decent instructions up front before I attempt to reinvent the wheel...

... again!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
There are variables to "ultrasonic cleaners" that need to be recognized. Sound frequency and intensity ("power").

Ultrasonic liquid vibrations clean by causing cavitation at the boundary surface between liquid and solid. Cavitation is an EXTREMELY powerful and poorly understood mechanism at the microscopic level. It can cause considerable damage to even the hardest of metals, by plucking away grains of the metal matrix right off the surface.

Cavitation has been know to have effects at a sub-atomic level, actually releasing ionizing radiation and visible light as the cavitation bubbles collapse. Some researchers claim that peak temperatures in the collapsing bubbles exceed 100,000 degrees Centigrade!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoluminescence

There is a good chance of mechanical damage to the print head, even with the BEST knowledge of intensity and frequency.

I would never consider ultrasonic cleaning of fragile print heads. Might as well use a wire brush, or sandblasting...

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I would never consider ultrasonic cleaning of fragile print heads. Might as well use a wire brush, or sandblasting...
... and that nugget is exactly what I was fearing but appreciate knowing ahead of time..

Thanks for that @turbguy ...