U150 error - unrecognized cart on Canon Pixma MP970

NOTS3W

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just need to vent a bit. Forgive me. I have a not-yet-four-month-old Canon PIXMA MP970 printer with all OEM cartridges. About a month ago, I started getting this U150 error that the BK cart was not recognized. The LED on teh cart was off but it was still nearly full! I reseated it, the LED came back on and all was well for a couple of days. Then the same problem occurred. This went on and eventually the PC cart was reporting the same problem while it was still nearly full. I contacted Canon support online and after following their instructions, the problem would not clear so they sent me new carts for free. That was a couple of weeks ago. Today, it started on the Y cart! The non-sponge side is about 60% full of ink. I'm hoping to get another replacement out of them, but this is annoying at best. They want you to buy their expensive ink. Fine. Then let me use it all before I have to replace the cart. I think they've made their ink monitoring system so complex that it screws itself up. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any work around?

Ray

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you've identified the problem! Their effort to stop Canon owners from using aftermarket ink and/or carts has caused users of their OEM carts to have problems as well! Is it possible that enough complaints might cause them to stop this nonsense? Not likely.

NOTS3W

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, Canon has responded already:

"Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry that
your PIXMA MP970 is experiencing an ink error.

There are no known issues with this printer. We will be glad to replace
the malfunctioning tank for you. Since all required information has
been provided, we have gone ahead and processed this for you. It should
be arriving within five to seven business days.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we
can be of any further assistance with your PIXMA MP970.

Thank you for choosing Canon."

No known issues? I've experienced this same problem three times in less than a month and God knows how many others have as well. At least they're willing to replace the tanks, but I will keep after them to continue to do so as long as this unknown issue persists.

Ray

buzzly

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
NOTS3W you are getting me all nervous. I have just printed the first test page from my brand new MP970.
I am still trying to learn the best way to do refill.

NOTS3W

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Buzzly,

I wish you nothing but good luck with your printer. From all accounts, it's one of the best printers out there in terms of print quality. I got mine for $160 but I've seen them for even less than that. I also hacked the firmware to allow me to print on DVDs which was one of the projects I bought this printer for. I've just not had luck with the ink cartridges and if I'd known a few months ago about these problems, I might have bought something else. But I think most printer manufacturers will eventually do the same things to force you to buy their cartridges.

Regarding refills, I'm not sure what I'll do yet either. It depends on how often I have to replace cartridges. I use mine at home for occassional printing, no high volumes, just want great quality output. The way I see it, if I only need to replace a cartridge every few months, I'll buy Canon cartridges and be done with it.

If it gets to be more frequent, I plan to go to the likes of Cartridge World and buy refilled and reset cartridges. They exchange the cartridges and shuffle which stores get the refills so it's not too likely you'll get your own cartridge back. The serial numbers will foul you up if you try to reuse a reset refilled cartridge in the same printer that thinks that cartridge ran out once before.

If my volume really increases, I'll refill them and say to heck with the warranty. If you do a lot of printing, you can probably save enough to just buy a new printer by the time your printer really quits working.

I'm not sure what exactly happens if you use a refilled cartridge, reset (same serial number) or not. I'm told that you will eventually be warned that your warranty will be void if you continue, so I assume you CAN continue, unlike the unrecognized cartridge message I've been getting which stops the printer in its tracks.

Personally, so far we're still at the first level. Most printing has been black and white text and a few color prints. I bought a spare set of Canon carts initially, and I've only had to use one of them so far (except for the nearly full carts Canon has replaced). And that was the cheaper PGI black one. I do have some photo projects in mind that could change all of that dramatically.

Good luck with your MP970.

Ray

buzzly

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
NOTS3W, Almost all the higher-end inkjet printers today have chipped carts. I guess that is what we have to face with.

My first few color pictures were big disapppointment so far as all the pictures have strong bronze tone. I don't have a specific icc profile. I am using cheap Staples Photo Supreme high gloss paper that I have loaded up last year on a sales. My IP6000D produced beatiful pictures with the same pictures and papers.

Look like a hair-pulling experiment is waiting for me.

mikemc897

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a question. I have a Canon MX700 and it posted a U150 code. I had a 3rd party cart, Cart World refill and two OEM carts. I replaced all with new OEM carts. The red light that should light up when good carts are inserted correctly did not light up and still receiving the code U150. Any knowledge of this problem? Cheers

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
mikemc897 said:
I have a question. I have a Canon MX700 and it posted a U150 code. I had a 3rd party cart, Cart World refill and two OEM carts. I replaced all with new OEM carts. The red light that should light up when good carts are inserted correctly did not light up and still receiving the code U150. Any knowledge of this problem? Cheers
Which cartridges were a problem before and after replacing with new OEM Canon cartridges?

Make sure you are using CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges and that the cartridges are in the proper slots in the print head. Sometimes Canon's OEM new cartridges can have a malfunctioning chip. Happened to me and Canon overnighted a new cartridge at no charge. Maybe you can exchange them where you purchased them.

You could try cleaning the electrical contacts of the print head between the cartridges and the print head and the print head and the printer carriage. Use a soft pencil eraser or isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth.

mikemc897

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Stratman,

I'm using the correct cartilages for the printer. The cartilage chips could be dated. After I clean the heads and if I still receive the error code, I'll take the cartilages back to Staples to see if they will exchange them. Cheer:fl

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've lost two printers that displayed a message that indicated that carts were not correct when in fact they were the correct ones. Initially it displayed it and then on reinsertion it went away only to appear again at a future date and then totally not recognizing the correct cartridges....even brand new OEM ones. It was not the printhead but the logic board. The two that went this way was an MP970 and and MP980.

Now here's the interesting part. Both printers had been fine, put away for a few months and then the problem surfaced on using it again. Recently something similar came up with an iP6600 that indicated that the wrong printhead was installed....of course not. But the message went away after it was left sitting powered up for a few hours. This machine had been stored for about 6 months.
Does that mean that Canon printers cannot be stored.. no not at all. Something happens to "some" that are brought out of storage.. What it is I don't know. A mystery and will probably remain so.