Total Cost Of Ownership - Cost Per Page Inkjet & Laser

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Okay,

So, I've got a finance background and love MS Excel. Combine this with my addiction to refilling inkjets and here's what you get:

THE TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP WORKSHEET!

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

The main items to look at are:

The choice to use OEM, use generic carts, and/or to refill
The number of pages per cycle (cartridge) based on numbers from the manufacturers and real world tests.
Compare the costs of inkjet to laser printing.

Here is a screenshot:
Printing_Cost_Of_Ownership1.gif

You can get the spreadsheet here:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/inkjet-printer-tco.php

wrbjr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow. Rob, you need to get out more! Sunshine, fresh air, walks in the park with your camera of course.... lol. Nice spread sheet!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
hahaha.... the wife told me the same thing a few months ago.... that's why I've got a new outside hobby.... chickens (if you can believe it)!

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/new-chickens.php

If you, or anyone else, have suggestions / changes to the spreadsheet, please let me know. I'm always trying to improve it to get an accurate total cost of ownership for printing.

wrbjr

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Actually I went to your website and checked out the chicks! I used to raise a few when I was young and it brought back memorys. They were more pets to me at that age than food items. At least you can keep photographing them and somehow include their egg production into an Excel spreadsheet. That way the wife can't say much....because you have another hobby too boot!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Okay, I've updated my calculations again (mostly to the photo print area) based on some feedback. Mostly changes to:

Pages per cycle based on real world examples.
Printer cost per page.
Paper cost
I'm using OEM cartridges ($40 a set) for the first photo column.

Download the file, play with the numbers and give me your feedback.

david1965

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
this one is amazing! thank you for your information!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
david, welcome to the forums.

Glad you like the info! As you play with your printer/settings/cartridges/ink please post your experiences and let me know if you think I should make adjustments to the calculations / assumptions in the worksheet.

Grandma

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Regarding page printed count on HP LaserJets, there's a quirk in the tabulation by the HP4P and HP6P for sure. I believe this is true also of the HP4 which someone mentioned. The machine only counts when you print 10 or more pages at once. If you print one or two pages, the counter does not advance, so they are not included in the total pages printed. I learned about this AFTER I had paid a premium for a used HP6P with a low page count. The owner had used it to print out sample graphics designs as she worked at home. Guess how many times she had only printed a couple of pages at a time?

I found your site when I was trying to locate information on the per page cost for some printers so that I could make a good decision about my next purchase. I like to play with numbers, but had not thought about including the machine cost in my calculations. Of course, that information is important in approaching the true cost per page. Great job! Thanks from BJ in Maryland.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Grandma, welcome to the forum! Very interesting point about the page count... I'll need to run some tests to verify as this shouldn't be to tricky.

Glad the file helped, I use it all the time!

Latest posts