Tool to reset region of Canon ink tanks

mrT

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

Today I discovered that Canon printers are region locked - searching around suggests that there's no way to alter the region of my printer to match the local market for ink cartridges, so I need to work the other way around: does anyone know of any reset tools that alter the cartridge region?

Specifically, I want to be able to set CLI-221 and PGI-220 tanks to European region. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
mrT

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
mrT wrote:
Specifically, I want to be able to set CLI-221 and PGI-220 tanks to European region. Any suggestions?
This thread seems to deal with a problem similar to yours: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6797

Note the suggestion in post #9 that a redsetter for European region should be able to change PGI-220/CLI-221 chips into PGI-520/CLI-521 chips. If you try this, please report your results.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mrT said:
Hi All,

Today I discovered that Canon printers are region locked - searching around suggests that there's no way to alter the region of my printer to match the local market for ink cartridges, so I need to work the other way around: does anyone know of any reset tools that alter the cartridge region?

Thanks,
mrT
Why go to all that trouble changing your printer when you can easily change the chips instead.

You can use any region cartridges from any part of the world by
simply changing that chip for one in your own region, it couldnt be easier.. :)

mrT

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Results!

I have used a European Redsetter, and it does indeed reset the regions of the tanks. *However* it took several attempts (applications of the Redsetter) to get the PGI220 (PGBLK) tank to be recognised by the printer, and on occasion after opening the printer lid, the printer will refuse to recognise the PGBLK tank (the solution is to reopen and close the lid).

Finally, as I write this, the printer is completely refusing to print PGBLK. Whether this is an issue with the chip, or the tank having been sitting around in the open after being opened (it took ages for the Redsetter to arrive), or with the print heads, I have yet to ascertain (suggestions on that welcome).

Edit: PGBLK is working now that I have cleaned the print head with hot water.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for the feed-back, confirming that the redsetter is able to change regions of the chips.

To avoid problems with the cartridges drying out, you can reattach the orange clip using rubber bands. There is no need to replace the vent sealing tape. Also don't leave the printhead with any cartridges missing for longer periods of time. I don't know how long a printhead can be left without cartridges without ill effect, there are different opinions, from a few minutes to maybe half an hour, but certainly not days or weeks.

I think it is a good idea to have at least one extra set of refilled cartridges ready. That way you can replace an empty cartridge and continue printing and refill the empty cartridge when convenient.

Mike gallagher

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP 560
Hmmm. I have a region 5 printer (MP560) and region 5 cartridges. I had them refilled at a local CostCo that uses a machine- which flushes out the old ink. I have working cartridges in place currently so should have 'clean' print heads. I replaced the cyan cartridge which I got online from what is evidently a Chinese knock-off source (the ink color is poor) but the printer will not recognize the refilled region 5 Cannon cartridge. Any ideas? I did try opening and closing the printer lid.