Thinking about starting an ink refill business

C-Corp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Justin. New to the forum obv. I am looking into starting an ink refill business. I already have a sucessful window cleaning business I started 8 years ago. My wife works at a daycare during the day and we have been looking to find her something she can do from home.

My black cartridge ran out the other day and on my way to staples, I figured I'd stop by cartridge world and give them a shot. For almost half the price the cartridge worked. I have tried refilling kits to no avail.

I have many questions and I'm sure I'll find a lot of them in this forum. A couple for now.

1. Is there a professional refill machine you can purchase. From who/where?
2. Is there training available?
3. Would anyone here be interested in helping me for a fee?

I'm looking forward to reading the threads on this subject. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

J

C-Corp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, i've already contacted a guy from SME Inc. He's sending me an email with a bunch of info. Anyone who has purchased equipment from them which machines do you recommend and not recommend?

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. It is very new to me.

J

C-Corp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
There are two different packages and I'm wondering if starting with the first and less expensive is going to hurt me for quality of equipment. We can always upgrade later I guess. Anyways one package was $9,995 for what they call the entry level reffilling Line. It included the
Spamaxx-100 for $2350
Versafill - $4500
Jetclean - $1195
Total with starter package and training for $9,995

The other package was $29,990 - It must have very high tech equipment. Not sure just starting out if this would be necessary.

What do you think?

They also had some other pieces of eqiupment I'm not sure if needed.
Shoptester - Testing device for most of the cartridges on the market today - $5440
Niagara Cartridge Rejuvenation system - Rejuvenates dried or contaminated inkjet cartidges by both flushing out the old ink and drying the cartridges foam core. - no price listed

Are these two needed?

Appreciate your help

Thanks

J

pblinds

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Terry (great Guy) from SME came to my location and demo'd the new HAT system, great machine and runs around $8000, but we thought the price of the ink was high, but thats the price you pay for more automation.

We are going to order a versa-fill 100 this coming week, cost $4500, its uses cheaper bulk ink and is capable of 70 cartridges a hour so it can grow with our business without needing replaced, its automatic with cleaning and filling, the only down side to the machine is it requires a compressor.

I have bought on ebay a ink o matic centerfuge for $200 2-steamers, ultrasonic cleaner and a scale for under a $100 i have been researching A-lot and found these are the main equipment one needs for the business.

When all said is done we will have $5900 invested and thats including inks, clips, labels, etc.

We were going to go with speedbrite $1650, and would still buy one if a second backup or aux machine is needed, but we decided to go with the more automated one for our main machine

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hi!

Do your research before you venture out in business Ink refill Biz is sort of crowded.

Ask yourself the following Q's

*Where will you operate from? Home/Store.
*Who would your key-clientele be?
*Do you have prior trade based exposure?
*What sort of volumes are you expecting?
*How many guys do identical stuff in the area where you plan to open?
*What is their foot-fall?
*Try to list a few successful refill entities and study their business model.
*Do not fall for blatant marketing and gimmics. Remember to do quality refills in small numbers you do not need very fancy equipment.

Lastly If you are going to be doing only ink cartridges think again.

Regards,

C-Corp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
After further research, I may start with the Toner. I have a fairly large customer base from my existing business. I asked several of them what they use and the majority use Toner. Plans of working out of my home, not sure if I could do enough ink Cartridges to pay for the equipment. I think I'm going to wait on purchasing anything. Maybe team up with someone already lined up and make sure I can land the customers (As i'm 95% sure I can, it's my strength in my current biz).

With Toner being used more than Ink carts, is the Toner equipment more expensive? Is it harder to deal with. Do you still have the same problems you have with the ink cartridges (chips, manufactured for a limited refill, etc..)

Are Toner Carts harder to refill?

There's obv more money in the Toner, (I guess they do last a lot longer huh).

One of my customers I talked to yesterday said they used Toner but were under contract thru xerox to buy it from them. Part of the equipment leasing I'm thinking. Is this common?

Appreciate the help guys,

Justin

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Ink cartridge refills are tough to do as a business. Generally what you really end up doing is just trading carts, and selling refilled carts. The big problem is a lot of the people who go to the independent refill shops are penny pinching misers who try to squeeze every last drop out of their cheapy low end printer. Subsequently you see a lot of completely depleted carts, the type with built in printheads "cough, cough" HP, and a lot with burned out printheads from ignoring the low ink warning . So you refill their cart and they bring it home and it doesn't print and they come back storming mad so you end up giving them a working cartridge and take back their broken one. Suffice to say your supply of working carts for sale or trade dwindles quite rapidly. It's a tough business and printer manufacturers have made it that way. At least that's the word I get from visiting the mom and pop refillers here.

pblinds

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
When i decided to get into ink and toner as a side to my retail computer stores, i quickly was told that Toner was very profitable, but is a VERY dirty Business and would need a industral location and then everything will eventually turn black, walls, floors/carpet, workers etc. and i am not ready for that, (Was i informed wrongly?) so instead we buy our Toner cartridges from PTIimaging, we save our customers 25 to 50% off Staples prices without the mess.

We have also been buying remaned ink cartridges from PTIimaging, as our sales has grown so has our inventory, by the time you buy 2 each of the most popular HP cartridges your at $1200 then add another $400 for the rest of the brands, You can buy a speedbrite refill machine for $1650. toss up i guess...

We are adding ink and toner to smooth out the Up and Downs of the Computer sales and repair business, we are hoping refilled ink will get people to come in the door more consistantly and to have businesses use all of our services.

One thing is for sure you have to market your new products, we have hired a commission based salesperson to push things out.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
With Toner being used more than Ink carts, is the Toner equipment more expensive?

No!
The only real eqpt you'd really need remanning toners is a toner hood and that too when volumes grow.
Initially vacuum everything using hepa filters and you'll be OK

Is it harder to deal with. Do you still have the same problems you have with the ink cartridges (chips, manufactured for a limited refill, etc..)

Everything looks hard till you get a hands on N the mfrs out there are not going to make your job easy.:(

Are Toner Carts harder to refill?

No!

One of my customers I talked to yesterday said they used Toner but were under contract thru xerox to buy it from them. Part of the equipment leasing I'm thinking. Is this common?

Everybody including the biggies (oems) today want to retain their client hence the concept of leasing.
if you can show a lower cost per page to your existing clients using your product and services they stick with you,

Regards,

barkha

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello everyone..Hope your new year is off to a great start..I am also starting with laser cartridge re manufacturing business. I am new to this industry but have experience in e-waste recycling business.

I have two questions, it would be great if someone can help me on this.

1. Do i need a toner workstation to start up with my business as i had a chat with Static control component Guy(Imaging component making company) and he suggested that toner re manufacturing is not possible without a workstation. But i am really not sure to buy it or not as it is costing me $ 7000.

2. Do it is more profitable to target colour laser cartridges instead of monochromes?

Thanks