There maybe Trouble ahead..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Canon have reintroduced the old way of putting the newer printers into Service mode, Service Mode will no longer be available to the printer owner.

So if you have a new printer or are intending to purchase one then this will effect you directly, because it means you will not be able to check your printers history, waste ink levels, divert the waste ink externally, replace the waste ink pads or anything else yourself.

The new Service tool can only be used online at a Canon Service Centre, so all future services must be carried out by Canon Agents, that means even more expense for the printer owners.. :(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This is not good news, but thank you for the info. Do you have more info please, for instance a link?

Some time ago I read about service mode operations only being possible when logged on to a Canon server, and I think newer service manuals can only be read online from the same server. I guess I bookmarked it, but I cannot find it.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The same concept can be applied with respect to even resetters. It possibly will be the future.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
iPhone has started something similar with their new models, if you have used a third party repair, then your liable to have the Error 53 message on the next firmware upgrade.. :(

DrJones

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp Deskjet 930c
Can I ask when this was introduced - I'm thinking of looking for the few leftovers that might be floating around in the back of stockrooms - older generations.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to druckerchannel.de the printers that cannot enter service mode by the user were introduced in November 2012. These printers were of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation. As compatible cartridges with ARC chips and a resetters are now available for these printers, Canon has introduced a new cartridge generation PGI-x70/CLI-x71, x is a region dependent number.

Before these cartridge generations the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 was used, and going further back in time PGI-x20/CLI-x21, PGI-5/CLI-8. BCI-3e/6 and BCI-3e.

As the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 cartridge printers were phased out nearly four years ago, I think none can be found in stock. You will then have to look for second hand printers. This is a gamble, you might get an overpriced and defective printer or one that is in excellent condition or even unused at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

DrJones

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp Deskjet 930c
According to druckerchannel.de the printers that cannot enter service mode by the user were introduced in November 2012. These printers were of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation. As compatible cartridges with ARC chips and a resetters are now available for these printers, Canon has introduced a new cartridge generation PGI-x70/CLI-x71, x is a region dependent number.

Before these cartridge generations the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 was used, and going further back in time PGI-x20/CLI-x21, PGI-5/CLI-8. BCI-3e/6 and BCI-3e.

As the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 cartridge printers were phased out nearly four years ago, I think none can be found in stock. You will then have to look for second hand printers. This is a gamble, you might get an overpriced and defective printer or one that is in excellent condition or even unused at a reasonable price.

Damn,

There goes my clever master plan to defeat the defeat device!

I like the canons (MG range) - but by building in this designed obsolescence through ink pad serviceing - and removing proper cassettes - they really are shooting themselves in the foot.

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
I like the canons (MG range) - but by building in this designed obsolescence through ink pad serviceing - and removing proper cassettes - they really are shooting themselves in the foot.
Not really. Quite the opposite, in fact: Their business is selling ink. Printers are devices for making people need ink. The easier it is for users to refill or get compatibles, the less profit there is for Canon.