The Royal Game of Ur - UPDATED for Nifty ;)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Something a bit different emerged from my CR10S the other day :weee

There are as many 3D design variations of this ancient board game as there are sets of rules, but I chose this one as I wanted to print every part and not just use coloured pens or printed paper to decorate the board.

Printing the circular parts and fitting them was the most laborious part, especailly the small blue circles which are only about 2 mm in diameter. I printed them all on a raft which worked really well. The board is in two pieces and has a dovetail joint which mean it can be split into two parts for easier storage.

I was pleased to find that almost all the parts were a good press fit into the board, but if you find some are a bit loose then a little glue will make sure they stay put.

The tetrahedron dice are not up to scratch as far as I'm concerned. Even printing them with equal layers on the side walls and bottom results in them being "loaded". I chose a different type of dice which work well and appear to be better balanced.

Game of Ur.jpg

Board Stl's are here...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2336010

Dice here...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2823072

Video about the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I&vl=en-GB

I have already been asked to print another for a friend so can see this getting out of control :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Well done! :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That’s was certainly a labour of love, and I am very impressed.:thumbsup

You could try printing the dice again with a ball bearing on the inside, tight or loose... !
The tetrahedron dice are not up to scratch
Just wait till you hear how long it took me to print my bird box...:hide :hide :hide

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow, that's AMAZING and super impressive!!! :thumbsup

I can't even imagine the tight tolerances and number of tiny pieces to assemble! :th

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Wasn't that difficult, just tweaked the slicer settings a bit, but they all printed accurately with no adjustment to the scaling of parts. A good interference fit with all the small pieces made it easy to snap them into place once lined up.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
If you don't mind... next time you print one, will you take some pics along the way? I'd love to see all those bits on your printbed and then all ready to assemble, and mid-assembly!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would love to make this UR board, but I reckon it would be wasted because I wouldn’t have anyone to play the game with once I’d finished or the time, mores the pity because it wound be great to get back to a non-electronic game for a change..
Just for the challenge and to be different I’d make it 50% bigger..

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
The real thing I believe was about 50% larger. It's a bit of fun to play for sure and I'm guessing that if you had it made then curiosity might persuade someone to play against you.

In the meantime - you can play against the Computer...

https://www.yourturnmyturn.com/java/ur/index.php