The Pro 1 with the B200 dilemma...

William Edwards

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon / Pixma Pro-1
Hello, great information here as well as community.

I've been doing some research on the Canon Pixma-Pro 1 to help a friend out with the B200 issue. I've read through a lot of discussions and various threads on the topic. Appreciate all the wisdom and cautionary information here. Pretty much determined it requires a new print head as multiple attempts to reset either with the panel buttons or service utility have been unsuccessful.
I am a certified technician on Epson wide format 7880, 7890 and P-Series printers as well as Fujifilm DL600 / DL650 / DX-100 / DE-100 so I have no problems with following a service manual, schematics or exploded parts diagrams. I am hoping someone here could supply me with a Canon Pixma-Pro-1 service guide or the process to properly replace a print head when the system is carriage locked to the right under a B200 error. Also, any reliable sources for genuine Canon Pixma-Pro-1 print heads would be helpful as well. Unfortunately, it seems Canon is washing their hands of supporting this printer at all. It is a shame as I have found it to be an excellent quality printer when functioning properly. I am hopeful with the right information I can resurrect this printer and help out a friend. Many thanks in advance.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
O’ that dreaded B200 error issue, your biggest problem is to clear the error log first then you can try to rectify the problem itself, while B200 refers directly to the print head, it doesn’t necessarily mean the head needs to be replaced.

The first thing to remember is the Pro 1 is intelligent with an active live memory, and the second is don’t take it for granted because it’s not an Epson and any experience you have in that field may well hinder your progress with this beast. (It bites)

Button pressing and service utilities are all but useless because the machine won’t respond till the error is dealt with, and that includes changing the head, so what I recommend you do is remove the top cover and release the head form its current position.

Once you have done that then you can explore other options, and you never know you might get lucky and won’t need a new head, but the B200 error issue is mostly fatal.

Here are instruction on how to remove the top cover and unlock the print head from the purge unit, be warned Don’t remove any cables from their own boards, and if you work on the printer Keep AC power to the machine at all times.. (Switched off)

Attachments

• Pages from Printer Pro 1.pdf
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 625

William Edwards

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon / Pixma Pro-1
The Hat, thank you for the sage guidance here and instructions. You were absolutely correct. Once I got the covers off and the head unlocked, I could see that the ink purge / cleaning area was fouled up with a bit of over spray. The gearing was sticking causing hesitation for the cleaning blade which was stuck possibly inducing the B200. Also the linear scale was sprayed a bit of ink requiring some cleaning also. Once I got everything cleaned up, I pulled the head for inspection which was not in bad shape at all. Some over spray noted but nothing compromising electrical contacts at all. Additionally, I found a non-genuine Canon LGY cartridge installed which I removed / replaced with a Canon one. Anyone of these could have been the culprit inducing the B200. Regardless, upon the next restart and acknowledging the LGY cartridge change everything reset fine and a completely normal nozzle check was produced on the first run. I followed up with some full 13x19 prints tests without issue. Again, many thanks for the information and suggestion to give it ago first without committing to a new print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This printer is indeed a strange beast, when you think all is lost, the Feckin thing can then surprises you, congratulation on your great success...
A great job that was well done, and you applied patience where needed...