The ip5200 is dead...long live the ip5200

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
My trusty ip5200 has had a cardiac arrest I do believe. Bought a couple of years ago from someone who used it twice and then bought a laser, it was a great little machine. So tonight I turned it on and I'm pretty sure I heard a faint "pop" from deep inside the machine.

So now I have the alternate Orange and Green flashing and a 6500 error.

Assuming I don't find a burnt out capacitor or something obvious on the boards what would be my best bet for a S/H CLI-8 printer to replace it? Something about the same footprint would be good as space is at a premium, and I already have a Pro 9000 MK2 for photos and A3 prints.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Redbrickman and welcome back, firstly you have my sympathy for the loss of your iP5200, and a good one it was too. :love

Now your problems begin because there are no good A4 desktop printers made by Canon any more, unless you can pick up an old CLI-8 cartridge printer at a car boot sale. :hu

I have tried Canons excuse for a new printer, these ones that use the 551 cartridges, and they are nothing but a big headache to keep running on 3rd party carts and inks so I dumped it, but I accidently ended up getting a Maxify 4 colour A4 printer and I haven’t looked back since.;)

They come in various models and prices, with lots of bells and whistles, paper cartridge capacity and cartridge sizes, they can be refilled easy and have 3rd party pigment inks available everywhere, they are worth checking out as a good replacement, sorry again for your loss... :(

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Good to hear from you again The Hat. That Maxify sounds interesting and a quick look has shown a shed load of different models. My Mp640 which we use for scanning is about to pass away too so I am thinking an All in One Maxify could be a good solution to replace both ;)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to the service manual error 6500 is "other hardware error" with suggested replacement of the logic board. So sadly I think the printer is a total loss.

The Maxify printers are office printers with pigment CMYK inks. As you have the Pro 9000 MKII for photos I also think the Maxify would be a good choice.

But if you would try to look for another great PGI-5/CLI-8 printer with the same QY6-0061 print head with many nozzles then there are the iP4300, iP5200 and iP5200R that are printer only models. If you can accept the larger footprint of an all-in-one then there are MP600, MP600R, MP800, MP800R and MP830. These machines also use the QY6-0061 printhead. The R suffix models have both USB and network connections. The MP600 MP600(R) have a CIS scanner, The MP800 and MP800R have a CCD scanner and 35mm film and slide scan capability. The MP830 is the office version. It also has a CCD scanner. It has no film scanning capability, but has ADF for the scanner and fax.

I suggest to look for these great printers at thrift stores, flea markets and similar. My default printer is an MP800 bought at a thrift store for DKK 75 = € 10. Apart from 3 missing nozzles it is in perfect condition. You might have guessed that I think the best printers Canon ever made for general home use all are based on the iP5200 print engine.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thanks for the reply. I've been combing the net for a ip5200 with a view to being a "board jockey" and maybe get 1 working from 2, but I am tempted by the Maxify models.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Hi @Redbrickman
Now your problems begin because there are no good A4 desktop printers made by Canon any more, unless you can pick up an old CLI-8 cartridge printer at a car boot sale. :hu

I have tried Canons excuse for a new printer, these ones that use the 551 cartridges, and they are nothing but a big headache to keep running on 3rd party carts and inks so I dumped it... :(

From my experience with 525-526 printers (5 in use in 3 households over 2 years) I must say that, while they look not so rugged as previous series, they run very well with refilled OEM carts.
And since for the successors 550-551 and recently for the 570-571 resetters are available, and the printer and cartridge technology not essentially altered, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to keep the latest series running with refill ink.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thanks to The Hat for his advice about Maxify printers. I have a MB5150 on order and looking forward to testing it out.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
An update on the Canon MB5150. It arrived last week and I have been testing it out on a few little print jobs. First of all I am impressed with build quaity, while i'm sure it's not as solidly built as some of the older machines it is pretty heavy and appears to be well put together.

Installing it on my Mac was trouble free and all the utilities also installed without any drama. I set it up on wifi which compared to some other printers was also a breeze to get going. I'm not one to use the printer display much but the touch screen makes it handy to set up initially and of course for copying.

Carts - well compared to my MP640 which is on it's last legs and the expired IP5200 these carts are huge! They weighed in at 62g for colour and 101g for the Black cart (noted for later if I feel like attacking them with a syringe) and installing them was easy, but I was surprised at the force required to seat them the first time, presumably piercing the cart outlet takes a fair bit of force.

Scanning - I'm amazed at the speed of the scanner and the quality. There is a USB port that can also allow scannning to a stick but not tried it yet, and you scan to email and scan to Dropbox etc.

Printing - this machine flies compared to my old MP640 and IP5200, but it's not the one to use if the rest of the house are asleep as it is easily the noisiest Canon I have used. The printing makes up for that though both in speed and quality. I've not had a pigment printer so nothing to compare it with, but the colour is superb and the black is...well...really black ;) Two sided is also fast and I can see me using it a lot to print double sided manuals and other reference documents.

I have not yet tried any photo printing but will update on this later. Don't really know what to expect from it with photos as it was not my reason to buy it, as I have the 9000 Mk2 but will give it a try soon.

For an all round office printer it has impressed so far. I intend to get a set of refillable carts with ARC's later and will see how that works out.

Finally - if you do buy one either turn down the beep or turn it off as it will drive you mad :he It even beeps when you push the power button to turn it off. I guess they designd it to be loud for an office environment but I searched the box after turning it on as I thought they would have supplied ear defenders as part of the package :lol:

Last edited:

tiuayen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon maxify 4050
Hi @Redbrickman and welcome back, firstly you have my sympathy for the loss of your iP5200, and a good one it was too. :love

I have tried Canons excuse for a new printer, these ones that use the 551 cartridges, and they are nothing but a big headache to keep running on 3rd party carts and inks so I dumped it, but I accidently ended up getting a Maxify 4 colour A4 printer and I haven’t looked back since.;)

They come in various models and prices, with lots of bells and whistles, paper cartridge capacity and cartridge sizes, they can be refilled easy and have 3rd party pigment inks available everywhere, they are worth checking out as a good replacement, sorry again for your loss... :(

Thank you for your advice. But can i refill Maxify with dye ink? in my country hard to find good pigment ink. And how many page can i print until "absober is full"? and can i fix it myself (reset couter for absober) ? or just skip it? I can clean the waste ink pad, but don't know how to reset couter

Craigkay

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip5200
Hi all,
My ip5200 just started flashing the dreaded green and orange and was wondering if a new printhead would do the trick. Does anyone have experience in that? I really love my ip5200 and (stubbornly) don't want to give it up if at all possible. Thanks!

Latest posts