The imaging market is evolving

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
https://petapixel.com/2019/07/26/ca...l-report-shows-steep-decline-in-camera-sales/
https://global.canon/en/ir/results/2019/rslt2019q2e.pdf

Direct effect.........look for increased electronic protection for refilling. Possibly increased prices for OEM ink.
I don't see them investing much in newer consumer printers..they admit the market is shrinking. The current photo printers could be there for a long long time > 10 years. The only challenger is Epson and their response is muted at best. I think Epson is having bigger issues in the consumer printing segment.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The current photo printers could be there for a long long time > 10 years.
Get a printer now as a backup, printheads may not be available for long after a printer model is phased out.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The current photo printers could be there for a long long time > 10 years.

I see this as a positive for owners of actual models.
Probably slightly modified versions or firmware updates could include refilling protection.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
https://fstoppers.com/business/cano...ething-much-more-ominous-photographers-360415

We've asked ourselves for a long time, how much better does printing get. My estimate is that as far as printing is concerned, we are putting down our landing gear as far as progress or improvement is concerned. We've arrived close to the limit.

So should one wait for a "better" printer. No. If there are replacements, a new chip and firmware will be included in the package. Resetting or the ability to do so should not be taken for granted. Get the refill friendly machines while you can.
Against shrinking volume and rising costs both labor and material, their ink revenues will be protected to try and preserve that bottom line...it naturally means they need higher profits on what they are currently selling....decreased costs? No. The other part..pricing.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
as far as printing is concerned, we are putting down our landing gear as far as progress or improvement is concerned. We've arrived close to the limit.
We see a fast increase in sensor and display resolution - 2k, 4k, 6 - 8k, - 16k for monitors is already covered in the lastest VESA standard for monitor cables.
Epson with the R265 or Canon with the IP5000 did droplet sizes of 1-1.5pl 15 years ago , and that's still the same what you get today in photo printers , and what has changed since then ? - WLAN connection - a little display at the front, some different body shapes and colors , there are some improvements with the inks, some better color rendering, faster processors in the printers together with the driver can do some more than 15 years ago.

Get the refill friendly machines while you can.
That's a very serious and important advise which I only can support , judge a new printer much more by its refill capabilities than other 'fancy' features.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I wonder for how long Canon USA will keep those periodical super deals on the Pro100. It seems to me that it’s been quite a while since the last one ?
One thing is for sure, you’ll never-ever get a single cent of discount from Canon Europe.

Wondering also if Canon/Epson/HP will introduce in the future new models featuring compulsory and sneaky updates, so that anti-refill code could be written in the printer’s firmware with no warning to the user.
Legally speaking I suppose that it would be a very controversial matter..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well there were advances since the small droplet "features" were introduced. The main one is that microprocessor costs have dived deeper than the Titanic did, this allows for very powerful encryption and firmware and more discrete control of the nozzles. As for droplet, don't let the size mislead you, it is not the main determinant of print quality. Discrete nozzle control is more important and this was limited before by processing power and fabrication techniques. On Epson, the nozzle droplet size is the antidote for quantity of nozzles. The downside of the increase in the dynamic behavior of nozzle droplet size is piezo fatigue.
Canon used to be "less complex" than Epson on the chip side. I expect that to quickly disappear in the future.
Both companies are near coming to the limits

Many will want their voice activated printing. Serious?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I wonder for how long Canon USA will keep those periodical super deals on the Pro100. It seems to me that it’s been quite a while since the last one ?
One thing is for sure, you’ll never-ever get a single cent of discount from Canon Europe.

Wondering also if Canon/Epson/HP will introduce in the future new models featuring compulsory and sneaky updates, so that anti-refill code could be written in the printer’s firmware with no warning to the user.
Legally speaking I suppose that it would be a very controversial matter..

Strategically, I expect Canon to continue their Pro-100 deals in the USA. Why? The reason they initially did this was to "push" their DSLRS so that Nikon and Sony could not offer a comparable package. As long as their sensors are lacking a bit against the Sony sensor, I think this will continue. As for mirrorless cameras, they are also behind. Canon was once the undisputed leader in imaging as compared to anyone else. They got caught with Sony entering the game and it will be interesting. Don't worry. Remember that at one time Sony Trinitrons were all the rage? Some will not even remember the Trinitron screens. As for Europe, I suspect they might actually bring the printer deal there as well now. Their turf has been trampled on by Sony and I expect them to take the gloves off now. Market share is now their concern.
The real casualties will be the other lower tier camera mfrs where volume will shrink even more to where it does not make sense to be in the game.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Yes, time they gave us an opportunity at the printer and camera deals here in EU :drool
I see the continuing development of smart phone cameras and lenses hurting the compact camera market even more than it has done already.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are not much news about dye inks over the last 15 or so years - since the release of the Epson Claria and Canon Chromalife inks for the consumer type photo printers , there have been some ongoing improvements of Epson pigment inks - Ultrachrome , K3, vivid, XD etc , and probably similar iterations by Canon - all inks for use with large format printers oriented for commercial applications, the Epson Durabrite pigment inks for (home) office printers exist as well since a long time - unchanged. The base technology - nozzles + inks seems to stagnate over a long time already - o.k. - except voice activated printing......Some changes of the hardware - claimed as improvements by the manufacturers - are much more manufacturability/cost reduction efforts than performance improvements.