The Hat's favorite subject

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Mentions isopropanol as the most active component.

That's what's in "pharmacist solution".
Adding a few drops of ammonia makes your own cleaning solution.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II

Finding readily available domestic or commercial products, usually at low cost, that perform exceptionally well as clogged head cleaners etc. etc.:D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon over at Northlight they produce some really brilliant stuff, but this article, while intending to be helpful it’s not going to work for everyone.

Most of the information contained is mainly suited for Epson printers and may well work but I wouldn’t recommend Cillit Bang Multi Power Cleaner Degreaser for cleaning a Canon print head.

I reckon we should stick with the current products and formula that we know and trust and leave the harsh cleaning stuff alone until proven safe and reliable...
It got my full attention, @Emulator..

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
It got my full attention, @Emulator..

Well if you don't like it, you have my full permission to delete or change it!

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
There's one thing I think I do not recommend: tap water. I have seen recommendations to just put a print head under running tap water, but here's the rub:

tap water can cause pigment ink to flocculate.

I was experimenting with cleaning fluids, and mixed a drop of black pigment ink with a drop of tap water. The ink started to clump up. Vinegar also caused clumping. I did not detect a problem with distilled water or Windex.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@ThrillaMozilla, I completely agree with you about ordinary tap water, but you should remember there are wide variations and many types of tape water, from excellent to not very drinkable. :sick

But if you know your local water is not of good quality then you won’t use it, fortunately I don’t have a problem with my tap water, but I will still always recommend finishing off any cleaning or maintenance cycle using distilled water or @pharmacist solution.
Thanks for highlighting the problems of tap water....:thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I liked the link by Emulator. I have also linked to that Northlight site. Notice that they think that glycol ethers as an ingredient in a household/window cleaner make the cleaner a good print head cleaner. I think the popular Original Windex with Ammonia-D also contains a glycol ether. I think the Alcohol Ethoxylates mentioned on page 4 of 5 are glycol ethers, and my favourite the "Ajax" window cleaner from Colgate-Palmolive contains butoxypropanol which is also a glycol ether.