Test Prints Results....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Her is the results of a test I ran back in October last, this just shows how the dye prints slowly faded without me knowing it, and they fade very gradual but then it speeds up and it’s only in the past few weeks that the dye inks started fading fast

The pigment ink held up as you might expect but they did lose some colour, never the less, the stored prints in my computer room were face down in a closed box but something caused an orange halo to appear, its noticeable more on the hydrangeas.

All these prints had a Glop coating on them, and that did not cause the colour run, because it only happened to the protected prints... ?

Here is the original thread when I start out first..
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/3rd-party-dye-ink-fade-test.11694/page-4#post-102656

The protected prints are on the bottom and the dye prints are on the right of each sheet..

Test 1.jpg Test 6.jpg Test 4.jpg click to enlarge.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
That is yellow ink migrating under the porous top coating.
This will definitely occur if you seal prints immediately after printing. It is more prevalent with Epson type dye printers. Less frequent a problem on Canons though.
Did you print the photo and then placed it face down in the drawer fairly quickly after printing?
Dry times before sealing or placing face down? Very important.
Humidity level?..happens a lot in countries with extremely high humidity. The paper breathes as environment conditions shift.
Paper used and porosity of coating? That also plays some part.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
it's getting fun - more and more variables to consider ......
Drying time - that's very important as well if you laminate your prints, if done too early the solvent is trapped between the base paper - with a PE layer - and the laminate and may even cause a separation of the coating from the base paper

Last edited:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I'm stick'n to PLAIN PAPER (whatever that is)!

Latest posts