Suggestions for Laminating inkjet prints

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I have to laminate my prints for various reasons, they need to be touched a lot and even creased and folded.

I'm getting a professional laminator (big and bulky 70kg weighting one) and various premium BOPP rolls with both lucid and soft velvet finish.

Would like to get as many suggestions possible in order to do so, I have both dye printers and pigment ones.

What are the best between the two?

What temperature do you use? (normally bopp rolls works around 130°C while foil ones around 90-95 °C)

Do anyone in this forum laminate their prints? can you share your experience?

deepest dmax and widest gamut are not the first concern here, more like obtain cool looking finished printed material

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not laminating my prints but I'm reading a strong advice to let prints - dye or pigment - dry for a day before you start the lamination process. Prints may be dry to the touch directly after print but the ink solvent still is in the coating and needs a while to really evaporate. I remember that some type of Epson large format printer is using a special ink shortening this drying time to 8 hours before you can reliably start laminating.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I'm not laminating my prints but I'm reading a strong advice to let prints - dye or pigment - dry for a day before you start the lamination process. Prints may be dry to the touch directly after print but the ink solvent still is in the coating and needs a while to really evaporate. I remember that some type of Epson large format printer is using a special ink shortening this drying time to 8 hours before you can reliably start laminating.
true that

It's suggested among various printers, seemingly laser printer doesn't need this however I will try to wait always a day in a dry environment before printing.

This also tells me that I will need to print some extra ones so that if I do something off at first times I can still get something to laminate after (if you always need to wait one day it's not like you can reprint it so easily).

Was wondering if it's best work with dye or pigment, dye inks seems to penetrate the coating deeper than pigment generally so I expect a better bound while pigment being oil based should act a bit more like laser prints sitting on top of the coating more.

Make sense for pigment prints being treated first with Chroma Optimization to reduce bronzing, it would be visible behind the lamination? What do you think @The Hat @palombian @Artur5