Stylus Photo R300 banding despite "perfect" nozzlecheck

Undervalued

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Any advice would be appreciated....

I have attempted to renovate an R300 that had sat unused for quite sometime. Its normal head cleaning function made little difference so I removed the head, soaked it in IPA then sucked fresh IPA through using a syringe.

Having re-assembled and re-primed with ink I now get a perfect nozzle check pattern but any photographs I print display noticeable horizontal banding. However, a page of text with occasional coloured diagrams or something like a map from Google Maps generally looks fine.

So I am assuming that some of the jets, although printing, are not producing quite as much ink as they should? Or could it be that the paper is advancing fractionally too far for each line?

What more can I do to improve the situation? I do have a small ultrasonic cleaner, is it worth putting the head in that and if so with what solvent. I don't think it is safe to use IPA in a ultrasonic cleaner as it risks igniting!

Thanks for reading and for any advice you can offer.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
a good scan of the nozzle check pattern would help, and a high res scan of a small area of a printout showing the problem as well. Can you see whether a particular color is affected ? Did you do a printhead alignment already ? Which paper are you using and which driver/quality settings ?

Undervalued

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
a good scan of the nozzle check pattern would help, and a high res scan of a small area of a printout showing the problem as well. Can you see whether a particular color is affected ? Did you do a printhead alignment already ? Which paper are you using and which driver/quality settings ?
Thanks

Highest quality settings
Epson Premium Glossy photo paper or Ilford Galerie Smooth gloss
I have also tried unticking "high speed"

As best as I can tell with a lupe, it is not simply one colour missing.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
a good scan would help, there are some details in the nozzle check to be checked even if all nozzles are printing , and the pattern and distance of the bands could indicate to a particular issue. Did you do a head alignment recently ? And if you print a CMY test pattern with a color ramp from low to high color saturation are all colors affected equally or only one color or only in the areas of high or low color saturation ?
Color 1.jpg

Last edited:

Undervalued

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
OK, thanks I will try to do those, either this evening or over the weekend.

Yes, I have tried a head alignment but is that not only (or mainly) for vertical issues or am I misunderstanding?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
head alignment covers as well the timing for the birectional printing or you would get shadows on letters and vertical lines, it covers the paper transport to avoid horizontal lines and some other elements depending on the printhead/nozzle row arrangements .