Squeeze bottles for refilling

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey gamarlin, you're getting together quite the kit of inkjet refill tools! Your post reminded me of a bottle I wanted to try out. They are "Reservoir Top Bottles"

The site says: " These bottles are ideal for use with bulk inks. The ink is forced right to the top where it is easily picked up with a needle and syringe - no tipping - no spilling!"

http://www.inkjetsaver.com/tools.html#anchor37453

Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't ever advise anyone to try the accordion type bottles. In my experience they make it REALLY hard to control the flow of ink.

gamarlin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I finally got the bottles, caps and needles. I think they will work fine for refill without using syringe.

Refill_2.jpg

Refill_1.jpg

I'll let you know if any problems arise

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Below is a link to a refilling setup I concocted last summer. While the yorker cap bottles I used are very inexpensive at less than 30 each including the tubing, they do require more pressure to squeeze the ink through the very fine diameter tubing. Perhaps if I'd purchased CIS tubing from MIS it would have given a better ink flow. The setup still works OK, but the bottles you show are a big improvement. I especially like the fact that you can use a blunt tip needle with a 2oz or larger bottle - much better than syringes. If you are using HobbiColors cartridges (which I recommend) with the original screws, then the tubing in the setup I made is too large to fit into the tank. The bottles you show solve that problem. You made a great find.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey gamarlin, I resized the images so they would fit on the page... they were just a tad too big. ;)

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. I'm very curious how it is to refill the BCI carts with these. It sure would be nice to ditch the syringe all together, but I'm a little leery about the lack of control regarding the ink flow.

Please keep us posted!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
drc023 - one of the problems I have with the hobbicolor cart screws is that they are fairly fine thread machine screws and with rubber gloves on they are somewhat difficult to catch a thread to start screwing them into the fill hole. Unlike the s.s. sheet metal screws that have a point which helps to guide the screw into the fill hole. I may try to taper the point of a HC screw to make it easier to hit the hole and catch a thread. Otherwise, these carts work just fine.

Gamarlin - Your picture of the caps doesn't show a luer lock male to which the needle attaches. Is there a black cover on the male luer lock that is molded into the cap? Also, do you remove and rinse the needle and seal the plastic bottle at the end of a filling session, or is there a cap for the needle? drc023's unit works very well except for the deficiency he mentions in that the tubing is large enough that it barely fits into the fill hole of the HC cart and doesn't let air escape. I cut off the hub of a hypodermic needle and slid the needle into the tubing of his unit. This did solve the problem he mentioned. The benefit of his unit is that it can stay in a caddy or on a rack while refilling. The benefit of the bottles you purchased is that they eliminate the tubing and have the needle attached directly to the bottle. Great find!

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
The HobbiColors screws are a little too small to be easily handled. That's why I like using the larger 10-32 nylon screws. Much easier to handle. I've suggested to David at H/C that they go up to a larger size screw to make handling a little easier. BTW: why are you using rubber gloves? You know that we NEVER get any ink on our fingers when refilling!!

gamarlin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I found that the needles are soft enough to carefully bend them to about 60 Degrees. This should make it easier to control flow
into the cartridges. As I started to set up for refilling I had an idea for a fixture to make working a little easier. I still need to give it a couple coatsof polyurethane so the inks won't stain and to make cleanup easier.
_MG_1393jpg_01A.jpg

_MG_1387jpg_01A.jpg

I still haven't tried refilling cartridges but I'll let you know how everything works.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Wow! You really are pretty serious about your refilling!!! I'm looking forward for your next post!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
That is quite an amazing setup for someone who hasn't tried refilling cartridges! I can't wait to see what you come up with once you get into the groove of things!

Keep up the great work.

Latest posts