Spool moves but no ink comes out?

shuRe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have recently brought a Canon BJC-85 injet printer, but cannot yet it to print ink onto paper.

The spool moves across as normal, but no ink is released. I have checked the printer cartridge and there is ink getting through, i have also run cleaning and deep clean with nozzle check, but again nothing is printed.

I am using the appropriate driver for XP from a website i found to support the BJC-85, and tried the windows xp driver that installs automatically but both have the same problem.

How can i solve this?

Many Thanks
Max Messenger

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Max, welcome to the forum.

The print head is moving back and forth but nothing coming out, even during the nozzle check pattern? Is there ink on the sponges where the printhead rests?

I had a similar problem when I first got a new set of cartridges... I forgot to remove the tape over the air inlet over the sponge = no ink to the nozzles.

shuRe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ye, nothing comes out during the printer nozzle check, not even a slight bit which might show a blockage.

i have checked the sounge bit on the cartridge and therre is ink coming out, as well as on the printer where there is a strange little seal which releases ink when pushed.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Read the manual carefully. Sometimes, in our excitement, we disregard the manual and try to install the cartridges without checking it. Like Rob said, you just probably forgot to remove the tape over the inlet at the top of the cartridge.

shuRe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
na i have checked the cartridge and there is deffinatly ink getting through (i found out the messy way), and its getting onto the little soak up pad on the printer (again i found out the messy way).

Its the most odd thing, i have tried the printer on my other laptop and this computer and no luck, so ill just put it down to a hardware fault.

plevyadophy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have got a similar problem with my BJC-85.

In my case everything this fine with the Black Cartridge. But if I use the Photo or Colour Cartridge then nothing prints.

I have done all the Nozzle checking and Deep Cleaning stuff. And I haven't any protective tape on the print head or ink tanks.

I have had my printer for about 4 years and it has been brilliant. I can't afford a replacement printer right now so I hope it doesn't need replacement.

Has anyone out there found a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
try manually cleaning your printheads by using a can of compressed air. that has been suggested many times here in this forum and with good results.
if that doesn't solve it, try replacing the cartridges with new ones, maybe you just got a faulty batch.
if it is still not printing, you may need to get a new printhead.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Are you using OEM cartridges, refilled OEM, non-OEM, etc? If you've tried a bunch of things I'd also try sticking a new OEM cartridge in your printer. I'm amazed at how often a I read about a seemingly permanent problem being resolved by putting in a new OEM cartridge. Many of the "nozzle" issues are actually cartridge issues.

plevyadophy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@ Blaster Q and Niffty-Stuff

Thanks for your amazingly fast responses.

In answer to your questions:

All print cartridges are original Canon.

The Black Ink Tank is a third party brand and prints OK. However, at first it wouldn't print and then I had to do the Deep Cleaning thing and it worked.

The Colour Ink Tanks (CYM & Bk) are also third party. I have done all the Deep Cleaning routines and nothing prints and definitely the Ink Tanks are new.

The Photo Colour Ink Tanks are original Canon. These also fail to work.

So basically its's only when I try and print in colour that I get the problem.

The Canon printer driver recognises when I put the Colour Cartridges/Print Heads in.

I have had all my Cartridges/Print Heads since I have had the printer. The Photo Ink Tanks have never had to be changed, or maybe once if my memory is correct. And I have never used third party Ink Tanks for the Photo Cartridge.

I am gonna try that compressed air thing shortly.

Is there any other way of manually cleaning the print heads?

Thanks again folks.

p.s.

Just tried that compressed air thing. Clever idea. Unfortunately, it didnt work for me :-(

I was wondering, could it be that the Cartridges/Print Heads are programmed to stop working after a certain number of years, irrespective of how many times you have used them (I hardly use the Photo Colour Cartridge but have had it for for over 3 years)?

Advice and help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Sorry that things are plugging up for you.

There are some other suggestions in this forum for cleaning print heads. Do a search for alcohol and you'll find some ideas.

Keep us posted!