Sponge problems & flushing cartridges

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Seeing as how I didn’t get any comments on my last post in “My way for flushing cartridges #15”. I decided to post this as a new thread to see what you guys think? After looking at a older post from ThrillaMozilla, where he posted some radiographs of carts showing the sponges separated from flushing or inserting a needle for filling..??? He was looking for a reason for ink starvation

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/cartridge-radiographs.6681 (#17 #18 #19)

Grandad 35’s idea of using a makeshift centrifuge came up to move the ink to the exit port.

I also think the idea of making a centrifuge by using a stocking and whirling it around with the cart in it might be a good test idea for carts that have been flushed just to make sure the sponges are in full contact with each other. I think whirling them around just before you finish wicking them with a paper towel might be just the right thing. Now that I think about it you might even be able to remove enough of the water or conditioner to just go ahead and start refilling the cart and forget the wicking??? I think I might just weigh one before and after to see how much water I can get out. If that works then maybe building a small make shift centrifuge might be worth it. As soon as the weather gets a little bit better outside I guess I'll give this a try.:fl

Anybody out there think this idea might just work or want to add their 2 cents to this?? :idunno

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Note the high g-forces involved in centrifuging. Centrifuges are sturdily built for a good reason. I found out I didn't dare making a drill powered cartridge centrifuge. I wouldn't like a cartridge taking off at highway speed.

Instead I use ghwellsjr's paper towel method to dry my flushed cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As far as I know ThrillaMozilla was using the HP Opaque cartridges which have a totally different single sponge setup inside them than Canon use and are probably more susceptible to this happening in their type of cartridges.

One of the simplest ways I found to reseat a dislodged sponge was just to tap it several times on a hard surface with the orange clip attached to prevent the outlet hole from receiving any damage.

A homemade centrifuge would also be a wonderful gadget to make but it’s an awful lot of work just to dry and cure an occasional sponge separation problem, if you’re that concerned about sponge separation, then I reckon you should consider using a different method for your refilling.

A half an hour using @ghwellsjr wicking method usually works for me, the sponge isn’t completely dry in that short time but the colours don’t seem to be affected by the little bit of moisture still left in the sponge.

If you finish off you’re purging using the Flush clip (Below) and suck the moisture out of the cartridges with the 60 ml syringe while holding your finger over the refill hole this will remove any remaining water from the air maze and also help to reseat a suspected dislodged sponge back into position.

Attachments

• upload_2014-2-28_11-8-47.png
    upload_2014-2-28_11-8-47.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 355

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Have you ever thought of using a centrifuge to fill cartridges with ink? Perhaps an old 78rpm record player.:)

You could adjust the cartridge distance out from the centre and fix the ink bottle in the centre. In fact you could probably do all cartridges at once!:ya

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The suggested device reminds me of a garden lawn sprinkler, using ink instead of water. In case of a malfunction, I think it could create quite a mess. :lol:

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
There is immense pressure in a household water supply which isn't likely to help in the longevity of the sponges, plus the usual dissolved metals and other particulates in municipal or even well water cant be good for the print head, might be an idea to stick to a clean/new cheap garden sprayer and distilled or R.O. water for flushing cartridges.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Have you ever thought of using a centrifuge to fill cartridges with ink? Perhaps an old 78rpm record player.:)

You could adjust the cartridge distance out from the centre and fix the ink bottle in the centre. In fact you could probably do all cartridges at once!:ya

HaHaHa

Can't fault Emu's logic, and maybe could be start of an interesting trend,

BUT Hands up - "How many of you Young Turks know what a 78rmp record player looks like, or where to buy one"

I can vaguely remember them from my indolent and misspent youth.

RS