Sources for empty CLI-42 cartridges?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I plan to order a new Canon Pro 100 printer this week and want to refill the ink cartridges (as I have done with my ip4200 for years).
I've always bought empty cartridges on eBay, but the CLI-42 carts are really expensive there.

Does anyone know of other sources for used CLI-42 empties?

Thanks!
Fred

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Does anyone know of other sources for used CLI-42 empties?
Hi Fred.
Yes, try Canon US.

They are selling their carts with huge paper deals, like buy one cart get 5 packs of photo paper free, just think how many free packs of paper you’ll get with just one set of carts...
Well, you did ask...:hu

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, Hat.

I saw the paper deal. But I already have tons from Canon's last paper sale.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A workaround -- you can use CLI-8 cartridges and do a chip swap.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I think he might want 2 sets of CLI - 42 carts. CLI-8s will of course work but he'll be still will one set.
To the OP. Yes they go for about $5 empty just about everywhere. Not much you can do. People are wizing up.

Joe

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

I have purchased the used carts from Octoinkjet. He ships quickly and efficiently to North America.

The carts are used, empty and appear visually to be somewhat dry. In my opinion it is advisable to start with a purge and clean using pharmacists solution. Takes a little time but at least you then start from a known "clean start".

Depending on usage I found rotating a minimum of two complete sets is necessary. Refilling the same single set does not permit any options when (NOT IF) a rogue cartridge suddenly develops problems, OR when you inexplicably get weird results caused by the unforgiving "Printer Gods", and need to trouble shoot. Ideally by changing to a complete good set.

When I was doing all my printing with the Pro100 I found three sets optimum to always have a spare set ready to go. Now I do most of my printing on the 3880 I can get by with two sets.

Just my experience. YMMV

rs

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I think he might want 2 sets of CLI - 42 carts. CLI-8s will of course work but he'll be still will one set.
To the OP. Yes they go for about $5 empty just about everywhere. Not much you can do. People are wizing up.

Joe
Exactly, Joe, I was looking for some extras. I have plenty of extra CLI-8s from refilling an ip4200.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Do you know if those have chips on em?

Yep, they include the original chips. Read the specs on the website. My recollection is no guarantee and no returns.

I have purchased probably a couple of complete sets over the years and local friends have also purchased several sets with no problems.

rs

Latest posts