Some thoughts about protecting ink in Epson Pro 3880

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
I used for more than 4 years a Pro 3800 and now for 2 years a Pro 3880.
I use Lyson inks to refill the original OEM Epson carts, (after removal of the contra valve that made refilling not possible - method jtoolman).
I use my Pro 3880 rather infrequent with long periods of no printing.
The way I handle the ink aspect of the 3880 could avoid printing problems due to ink deterioration.

1) I feel that one can get printing problems when the ink is too much exposed to air.
To avoid this as far as possible, I buy Lyson inks in small 100ml bottles and make sure to refill the carts regularly. In this way ink is not for longer periode exposed to air.
In large bottles after opening, the ink quality is constantly and often for a long time negatively affected by air in the bottle.
(Also no problem of passing expiration dates!)
2) in addition I use the OEM Epson cartridges for refill.
These cartridges are in my view of far better quality than the cheap Chinese refill cartridges that do offer very little if any protection against air.
The ink in the Epson OEM cartridges is stored in a Mylar bag inside the cartridge, totally away from air

Some addition thoughts:
Another advantage of the Epson OEM cartridges for the Pro 3880 is that these are sturdy build with a strong valve-connector to the printer.
The carts I use are at least 4 years old! They are taken out regularly for shaking and weighing to make sure that the ink level doesn’t go too low. I never had leaks at all.

I also ofter wonder whether the expiration dates listen by the printer manufacturers on their ink cartridges really is objective information? They like to sell inks and the more the better.
Nobody is going to throw away inks, because of passing an expiration date!

I strongly believe that keeping the ink away from air is key in maintaining ink quality.
My method seems to do this and so far I never had a serious ink problem, this notwithstanding irregular printing!

Harry