[SOLVED] New to this and having problem

Wazzu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi!

I read quite a few posts on this forum before jumping into ink refilling. I have a problem I hope you can help me with. I did some searches here and haven't been able to come up with the posts I need, but I'm sure they are probably on here. I apologize for that.

I have a brand new Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II printer. I bought my ink and the chips for the black and gray cartridges from chubs380 on eBay (I believe he is here on the forum?). I successfully replaced the chip on the gray cartridge and refilled it using a syringe and putting it directly on the sponge. That was the only cartridge I had to replace so far.

Since then I bought a set of reconditioned OEM cartridges from chubs380 as well so I could have a set of full cartridges full and ready for replacement. I bought the ARC chips for the gray and black for the new set as well as a resetter. The cartridges were already reset and ready to fill according to the description, so I didn't do anything to them except refill them and install them. I am getting an out-of-ink warning on the matte black cartridge, and a low ink warning on the yellow and cyan. I told the printer not to warn me about ink levels. Now the matte black cartridge no longer has a light on, and the yellow and cyan still flash. Should I reset them? They are already full, so I don't know if that is good to do.

Tonight I plan to fill up the OEM cartridges that came with the printer, and maybe I'll have better luck with them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
On the pro9500, it is not a good idea to override the warning or tell the printer to ignore the ink warnings. So go ahead and reset the chips that are low and reinstall. Heed the ink warnings on the screen and perhaps refill a tiny bit earlier. There is no harm to refilling earlier or prior to empty at all and is safer in fact. Running pigment ink with physically empty cartridges will not do the printhead any good. So use the chip resetter you have on the 8 colors and reset the Gray and PhotoBlack with the cycling of power on the printer you should be back to normal. When you instruct the override of the chip, it is for a specific color and not all colors. The overriding or ignoring of the chip level will be removed automatically when the chip is reset for that color. So everything will revert back to normal after the chip is reset.

Wazzu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you! I will give that a try.

Also, I remembered that I tried the resetter on several cartridges before I filled them because I'd never used one before and I was curious about where the light was going to come from, etc. I never got them to light up (I was doing it wrong), but I wonder if I messed something up at that point with these three cartridges. I know whatever happened is almost guaranteed to be user error and not a problem with your product. (And I did get the resetter figured out and working with my other cartridges)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You have to manipulate the cartridge so that it makes contact with the chip and wait for it to light up. It will initially briefly flash and then after a second or so, it will fully light up. If you only allow it to briefly light up and remove the cartridge, it can corrupt the reset and will need to be reset again properly.

Wazzu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It probably did flash on those momentarily, and I didn't see it because I wasn't sure where I was supposed to be looking for the light. However, I do have it figured out now (I think!). And I reset those problematic cartridges, and everything seems fine now. THANK YOU!!!