Software for automatic page renumbering

karakara

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP9015 CDW
I have a Brother color laserjet (HCP-9015 CDW) and I need to accomplish only two things : A5 printing and doubled sided. If using A4 paper, the pages will be cut in half and inserted into A5 binders. I am a dental medicine student and every year I need to print around 2000 unique pages of notes and reading. I am not looking for the suggestion that I copy and paste each page into MS Word and rearrange them as 1,3,4,6, etc... I have seen this answer around the internet and I do not want to do this 2000+ times. :)

So I have tried two ways to achieve A5 double-sided printing and both are failing :
1) I tried to do A5 paper, but my Brother printer won't let me print it double sided for A5, only A4. So this way is FAIL.
2) I then tried to research how I could do A4 in landscape mode, print 2 A5 for each side... And yes, in theory this works EXCEPT if I need to cut these A4 in half into two A5, which I do need to do... So indeed when I cut them in half to put them into my A5 sized binder the pages will read like 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 7, 6, 8, 9, 11, etc... which does not work. I need the pages to read like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9... etc. This is to say that I need on the first side of the first A4, pages 1 and 3, and on the second side of the first A4, pages 2 and 4 ... then on the first side of the second A4, pages 5 and 7, and on the second side of the second A4, pages 6 and 8... etc... In this way, when I cut the A4's in half into A5's, the double-sided feature lines up, and the first A5 page will have 1 and the front and 2 on the back, and the second A5 page will have 3 on the front and four on the back, etc. I'm looking for an efficient way to do this. I cannot find an option in the printing window to accomplish this type of page reordering... So my question to the internet is... Is there an application that allows me to reorder thousands of unique pages with only a few clicks? I already have Adobe Acrobat pro, but I haven't found an option in it yet. I downloaded Scribus, but it's kind of buggy. I have computers that run Linux (Ubuntu and GalliumOS), Microsoft 7, and OS X Sierra... so between all those OS' there should exist some app to do this, right??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I really appreciate it.
Kara

karakara

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP9015 CDW
Hey guys,

I finally figured out a solution to use "Book mode" in the Brother printer window in Acrobat. Of course I used double sided as well and then am using the paper cutter to cut along the supposed spine of the book. I'm not deleting the post in case anybody else on the internet needs this solution.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Did you use the free Adobe Acrobat reader, or one of the expensive Acrobat programs?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I finally figured out a solution to use "Book mode" in the Brother printer window in Acrobat.
That would have been my first suggestion to you. so, congratulations to you for figuring it out yourself... ;)

karakara

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP9015 CDW
@ PeterBJ... The expensive one!

@The Hat... Thanks! Haha glad I happened to figure it out... :)

Latest posts