small image on 4x6 paper

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok the problem that i am having is, a 2x3 inch image that when i print on regular 8 1/2 x 11 plain paper it prints at that size, but if i try to print it on to 4x6 photo paper it wants to fill the whole paper, i guess what i'm trying to do is print a "wallet size" but at a specific size, i can't figure out how to do this

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Different printers have different photo print capabilities, so which printer make and model is this about, please?

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
pixma mp990, the image is a chart that is saved as a word doc, i open msword and go to file, print, properties, and select glossy 4x6 paper. win7

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pixma mp990, the image is a chart that is saved as a word doc, i open msword and go to file, print, properties, and select glossy 4x6 paper. win7
Could you not make a PDF of your chart from word and then you could print it from another application..:)

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
On you printer properties before printing select the "page setup" tab then select "scaled printing" and adjust the "scaling" to around 180% if it is printing about half the size on the paper you are using, to start and adjust from there, scaling the figure up or down accordingly (you will know roughly what you need to set it to after just a couple of previews) preview print the image until it looks about right, then print it.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I tried the idea by Cakehole with scaled printing and it works, but the image is to be reduced to 50% not enlarged 180%.

Here is how: First copy the image from the Word document and insert it in an image handing program, Windows Paint will do. Save the image to a folder. Now right click the saved image and select print. You now get a window similar to this, click to enlarge:

tux2.jpg

Select 4"x6" format and your photo paper, click settings and navigate to this tab in the printer settings, click to enlarge:

tux3.jpg

Note that border less printing must be unchecked, and chose scaled printing from the drop down menu and select 50%. Click OK to confirm the settings. Now click print in the print window. This is the result, Tux is now 2"x3", click to enlarge:

tux4.jpg

I guess this is the easiest way of doing the size reduction, easier than modifying the Word document or creating a PDF file. By turning the photo paper upside down you can print one more image on the same sheet of paper.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Another possible way to get 2"x3" prints from a 4"x6" photo paper is to use Canon's printing application that I believe comes with every printer. My version for the MP830 is Canon Easy-PhotoPrint EX. Select the paper size 4"x6" and then Borderless printing to get the full 2"x3". If you want 2 copies of the same image on one 4"x6" piece of paper then it seems you will need to make a copy of your image and give it a different name -- such as adding a "1" or whatever to the name -- and then select both images to be printed on the same 4"x6" photo paper.

Possibly using a combination of this method and Cakehole and PeterBJ's method will allow you to print multiple images the size you want on a single piece of 8.5"x11" paper without turning the paper around and reprinting on the same paper.