Should I get a laser or inkjet?

redryder

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Every article I read says that laser printers are more for home office, whereas I'm just a regular home user. But I don't print often, at best a few sheets a month. I don't want the ink cartridges to dry out, so I'm considering a laser printer instead. However, my eldest child is about enter kindergarten next year and I don't know if I will need a color printer. At the moment color lasers are out of my budget range.

As for photos, I can easily send to a lab near my house, so I don't see any critical need to print at home. Do you guys think I should get a laser printer or a color inkjet?

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would go for a simple laser printer for now and when you have the need for color printing, get the inkjet printer then. There are laser printers comes with a full toner instead of a trial cartridge. If as you say you only print a few pages a week or month then the laser printer is ideal because it does not go dry and there is no print head to get clogged. Nowadays laser printer are cheap like the hp laserjet 1020 runs around less than $100 and the same toner can last you for at lease a year without worry about refill, try the e-bay if you want a laser printer for around $50.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'd listen to ltsang - good point. About the color inkjet printer - you may not need a color printing until the first school day ;)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I would guess that a child wouldn't need a color printer for the first few years of elementary school, much less in kindergarten. Go for the Laser