Service mode and Reset Canon MG7550

Rephil

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7550
Hello everyone,

I have a B203 error as soon as I turn on my Canon MG7550.
I would like to put it in service mode to be able to reset the ink and pad counters with Service tools v3400 or Canon ST5103.

I tried the recommended procedure below:
1) Turn off the printer
2) Hold down the <Resume> key and press the <Power> key.
3) As soon as the <Power> light comes on, Release the <Resume> key
4) Press this <Power> key again 5 times:
. 1st press <Resume> turns off the <Power> light and turns on the <Alarm> light.
. 2nd press of <Resume> reverses the <Power> and <Alarm> light.
. 3rd press <Resume> reverses <Power> and <Alarm> light .
. 4th press <Resume> reverses <Power> and <Alarm> light .
. 5th press <Resume> reverses <Power> and <Alarm> light.
5) Release the <Power> button
So at this point, the <Power> light is off and the <Alarm> light is on, which is not normal. Indeed The <Power> light should have blinked and then stayed on. So I think it didn't go into service mode.
If I try to launch Canon ST5103, nothing is grayed out but as soon as I try to do an operation, I get the message "No Service printer Mode" code 005. I have the same error code with Service tools v3400.

If anyone has a solution, it would be great!

Also, what would happen if the printheads (which are not in the cartridges) were damaged? Would I still be able to access the service mode?

Sincerely

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
First of all, I wonder if B203 is the correct indication for full inkpads, almost the only reason to use a service tool.

Did you check if the Service tools you used support your printer?
If not it is locked and you never will be able to access it again.
Maybe you are lucky and you did not enter service mode at all.

I would advise you to find ST4205, this version supports the MG7550.
You will have to pay a modest amount for it, check eBay (accounts come and go for obvious reasons).
I've been able to reset PRO-10 and Maxify printers with these hacks.

BTW ignore virus warnings (meaning: isolate them correctly in your antivirus system), they are triggered by the piece of code to bypass the key, I don't think these guys have malicious intentions

Attachments

• Canon ST5204.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have a B203 error as soon as I turn on my Canon MG7550.
What did your Google search come up with for "Canon MG7550 b203"?

What I found was b203 is a print head "communication" problem for printers with separate cartridges for each color. I am not 100% sure, since Canon is not identifying the exact cause or fix, but a new print head may correct the issue.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1634770448568

Lending support that a new print head may fix the issue is from what Canon says about the b203 error with their printers with 2 cartridges - one for pigment black and one that has 3 color inks. Canon says this is due to "overheating" and to get new cartridges (the print head is built into these cartridges).

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1634770448568

Until b203 is resolved then Service Mode or anything else does not matter. Your printer is a brick unless this error is cleared.

Last edited:

Rephil

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7550
Thank you for your information. My printer is from 2015.
Yes, I definitely have a problem with the print heads. But even if I change them, I will have to reset the counters, and for that I need to be able to put the printer in service mode.
Because Service tools v3400 or Canon ST5103 are not indicated as being compatible with the MG7550.
So if I understand palombian correctly, the service mode must have been locked
Unless this error B203 prevented attempts to access the service mode (with an inadequate utility)
So I will try to order a cheap generic print head and see what happens.
Then I will try to find the ST4205 utility.
What do you think about it ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@Rephil : IF service tool VST5103 isn't compatible with the MG7550, it seems very unlikely that an older version like the ST4025 will work.
Anyway, suppose you get a cheap refurbished printhead and error B203 won't disappear. You'll never know if that printhead is defective or the problem is in the printer's logic board.
Purchasing a brand new printhead from a reputable dealer would eliminate the chances of a defective printhead, but then you pay almost as much as a new printer, therefore @stratman's advice makes sense.

Being more optimistic, lets suppose you're lucky, that cheap printhead works acceptably well, error B203 disappears and so you'll be able to continue using the machine.
If not, probably you can ask the vendor of the printhead for a refund, partial or total.
Maybe it's worth trying. There's isn't much to loose, except your time.

Last edited:

Rephil

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7550
Thanks to everyone for their opinion.
As Artur5 suggests, I'm going to try to buy a low end head, as I'm very curious to know the result.
If I'm unlucky, I may be out $35 (in case I can't return it).
I will keep you posted.
Good evening to all

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I tried the recommended procedure below:
I took a closer look at your button pushing sequence to enter Service Mode (and what Service Tool to use). Post the link to where you got these instructions. Either the instructions are wrong, you did them wrong or I am wrong.

I don't know if you understood Palombian. If you screw up using the wrong Service Tool you may permanently lock yourself out from entering/using Service Mode ever again even with the proper Service Tool.

But, you may not have ever been in Service Mode in the first place. That screw up may have saved your bacon.

FYI - You must be connected by a USB printer cable directly to the computer. If one USB cable does not work then try a different USB cable.

First let's see if you are even performing the correct button sequence. Post the link to your instructions.

Why I said to get a new printer is there are too many unknowns to spend money for maybe no return on an old printer that may fail for some other reason besides full waste ink counter.

Who knows - if you did the wrong procedure for entering Service Mode and now do the correct one you may be able to save a couple quid even with a new print head and keep using the printer. Or it could be penny wise and pound foolish. :idunno

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm going to try to buy a low end head, as I'm very curious to know the result.
If I'm unlucky, I may be out $35 (in case I can't return it).
Clutching at straws and pissing up a rope are the same thing, but which one you choose to do, I still reckon your outcome will be the same, lay the printer to rest and move on..
P.S. those print head won't wont work..