search the forum / postings of members

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
If I want to search for all postings of a particular member, the result is not showing the posts but the threads.
So you have to search in the threads for yourself.
Please make it possible to have direct links to the postings of a member.

There is so much helpful information in this forum but sometimes hard to research...
Because the main forums are not subdivided .. sometimes I would like to have subsections (e.g. for epson-canon-others) but then I think this would not be practical for other reasons ...

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Did you try to change the setting to "show results as post"?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
martin0reg said:
There is so much helpful information in this forum
Agree!!

but sometimes hard to research... Because the main forums are not subdivided .. sometimes I would like to have subsections (e.g. for epson-canon-others) but then I think this would not be practical for other reasons ...
This older thread really has a secondary topic ... sub-sections.

This newbie's observation is that the majority of active posters use Canon printers, and as they get more experienced thay also have wide format Epson printers. My impression is that as archival longevity becomes a factor, Epson has advantages over Canon, HP, etc. printers that aren't pigment based (and I realize that Canon has pigment based printers).

I think sub-sections for these two printers would be useful, and wonder what the pro's and con's are.

Or perhaps broken down by "die based" and pigment based"? As a newbie, my impression is that the "best practices" for a die-based printer can be quite different than a pigment based printer. I find myself reading a thread and being confused on whether guidance from an Inkjet Master is applicable to my die-based Canon Pro-9000-2.

BTW, is there a way to change the "Topic Subject" ... that seems "read-only". In other forums I've been active on, it is possible (usually easy) to revise the "Subject line". In this DpReview thread , the OP of
HELP!!! Broken thread stuck in tripod mount
was easily changed part way down to:
screw extractor

Can this be done on the Nifty-Stuff bb?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
Did you try to change the setting to "show results as post"?
Rob,

Is it possible for an individual to change their default from
"Show Results as ... Topics"
to
"Show Results as ... Posts"

I think the significant majority of my searches are using "Posts".

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Very good feedback and ideas!

While this forum software doesn't support "sub sections" in the traditional sense, I think some of the sections of the forum are overdue for a little reorganizing. :)

Unfortunately there isn't a way to change the default search setting on a per user basis, but I'll put that on the list of suggestions.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Another question ... does the forum software on which NS is based support "Polls" where the forum administrator ... or perhaps others ... can post a poll on a issue of interest?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
It will soon! ;) (We've got a few upgrades we hope to roll out in the next month or so).

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
So I infer you are directly or indirectly involved with the forum "engine" software? In what capacity, may I ask?

I used to actively administer several open source / freeware forums that use Simple Machine's SMF. Very, Very Impressed with it, but it has been forever with RC's on version 2.0. IIRC, more than a year ... maybe 18+ months?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Actually neither. :) We'll be making quite a few changes, some that are "pre-built" plugins, but most that are "coded from scratch" modifications.

Ironically, I just got back from this forum conference where a good amount of time was given to talking about different platforms, and platform changes related to "forums".