Scheduling a maintenance print

farquers

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro100
Hi. I am currently using a Canon Pro 100 mainly to make photo books. Its currently holiday season in Australia and i am looking to travel for a couple of weeks. To avoid head cloggs i was hoping to leave my computer and printer on with a program to print every couple of days. I found this program on a web search, http://www.harveyheadcleaner.com/index.html.
I wonder if any members have experience with using it or maybe an alternative.
thanks Farquers

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Qimage by ddisoftware.com allows you to schedule prints of unclog patterns as well, but you wouldn't just buy the software for this reason. But beyond that it is a powerful piece of software for lots of formatting and printing related settings

farquers

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro100
Thank you. I will have a look at Qimage. At the moment I use LR to manage the printing and the layout of pages can be a bit problematic.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi@farquers and welcome, the head cleaner site you linked to would be a waste of time and money for your printer, most of these sites deal mainly with Epson rather than Canon printers.

Canon don’t suffer from severe heads clogs like Epson do, and the only proper test print that is recommend on a Canon is a nozzle check print, this can be done by way of a batch file run through Windows Scheduler.

If you plan to take a holiday then print a nozzle check and leave the printer turned off, then cover it with a plastic garbage bag or something similar and leave a small bowl of water underneath the bag.

When you return remove the water bowl first and bag, turn on the printer and run another nozzle check, I am sure the two nozzle checks will be the very same and you’ll be ready to print out all your holiday photos...;)

farquers

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro100
Wow, Thank you for that fantastic information and the welcome. Ill give that a go. Now all i have to do is gather the raw material worthy of printing.
:thumbsup

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Hi@farquers and welcome, the head cleaner site you linked to would be a waste of time and money for your printer, most of these sites deal mainly with Epson rather than Canon printers.

Canon don’t suffer from severe heads clogs like Epson do, and the only proper test print that is recommend on a Canon is a nozzle check print, this can be done by way of a batch file run through Windows Scheduler.

If you plan to take a holiday then print a nozzle check and leave the printer turned off, then cover it with a plastic garbage bag or something similar and leave a small bowl of water underneath the bag.

When you return remove the water bowl first and bag, turn on the printer and run another nozzle check, I am sure the two nozzle checks will be the very same and you’ll be ready to print out all your holiday photos...;)

The Hats response makes perfect sense.

I have a Pro100 and go away for 4-6 weeks twice a year and basically follow his recomendations. In my 4 years of use it has only once given a minor problem with a nozzle check upon return, and that quickly resolved with a nozzle clean.

Having said that I would also endorse the positive comments about Qimage if you do a lot of printing.
The modest cost is offset by its incredible versatility for print operations. The publisher sets the "gold standard" for support and innovation.

Just my opinion.

rs

Latest posts