Scanning

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok i have had this issue for a long time and was just living with it, so now i would like to address it. my mp990 when i scan a document it leaves a little off from the original, today i did a preview and the lcd on the printer showed that the scan area was a little smaller than the document it appears that i would need to reduce the scanned image maybe down to 95 % or so but when i tried to do that all i could fine was preset percentages, what would be the best way to set a different percentage

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have an MP830 that I had altered the firmware settings to print disks. In order to do this I set the Region Mode to Europe/UK. Everything worked fine until I copied documents and I began to notice that some of the border of the document was cut off in the printed copy. The issue was the USA default page size of 8.5" X 11" was changed to the European page size of A3 (IIRC) because iset the region to Europe/UK. From then on, as long as I manually set the page size to 8.5" X 11" for a standard plain paper piece of paper, then all was well again.

You can change the paper size using the following PDF User Manual for your printer. Instructions begin on Page 30.

Changing the amount of magnification of the copied image can be found on Page 32.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Changing the magnification of your original document won’t help you’ll still end up with some text missing, you need to alter your default setting to a larger size as @stratman has all ready stated and then save it as your new default size..:)

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Side effect of enabling disc printing in US? :)

ISO A4 -> 210 x 297 mm
Letter -> 216 x 279 mm

Scanner plate is maximum of both formats (216 x 297 mm).

Ł.

BTW

I found something interesting in manual posted above:
Prevent paper abrasion setting.

Selecting the Prevent paper abrasion setting will widen the clearance between the Print Head and the loaded paper. If you notice abrasion even with the media type set correctly to match the loaded paper, set the machine to prevent paper abrasion by using the Operation Panel or the printer driver.

Print speed is reduced if you are selecting the Prevent paper abrasion setting.

* Deactivate the Prevent paper abrasion setting once printing is complete. If not, this setting remains enabled for all subsequent print jobs.

I was wondering how "prevent paper abrasion" option works.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Side effect of enabling disc printing in US? :)

ISO A4 -> 210 x 297 mm
Letter -> 216 x 279 mm

Scanner plate is maximum of both formats (216 x 297 mm).

Ł.

BTW

I found something interesting in manual posted above:

I was wondering how "prevent paper abrasion" option works.
As it says, "prevent paper abraision" lifts the printhead slightly away from the paper from it's "normal" clearance, during printing.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok so i can assume that every time i copy something i will have to check the paper size since the region is set for eur

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes, a side effect of changing the printer's region from US to Europe to allow CD printing is that this also changes the default standard paper format from Letter to A4.

You can read more about paper formats and scanning problems in this thread. Specially notice post #6.