lothian

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman's arse pucker P100
Our two Samsung CLP-650ND color laser printers are producing awful--and wasteful--output. The quality of both printers was perfectly acceptable until some recent, non-specific event--meaning, I have no idea what is different now vs. before--changed that. Take a look at the image below; this is typical output from both printers. Anyone recognize this type of output problem?
Typical%20CLP-620ND%20Output.jpg

Perhaps most strange thing going on, and something I cannot show in an image: neither printer will output in "draft mode" and when a printer job set to highest quality output is worse. Same for monochrome output (i.e., "greyshade"): output is solid black only--no greyshades whatsoever. Additionally, both printers lay down heavy toner that is tactile and sometimes doesn't bond to the media consistently.

While this/these problem(s) might indicate a fuser issue, they could also indicate a problem with the transfer belt of the any (or all) of the toner carts. The printer consumables report lists the fuser, toner, transfer belt and take-up rollers are each significantly within their respective lifespans. I checked the fuser first. I swapped a replacement fuser with no change to output. I'm not keen on in sequentially replacing expensive consumables (that may not be bad) as a means of troubleshooting this consistent, repeatable problem.

Given that 1) the output is consistent across two devices; 2) the problems began at the same time; and, 3) the printer software quality settings are suddenly rendered useless, I suspect (admittedly paranoid) that Samsung has updated driver software to hobble the printer if non-Samsung toner carts are detected. But I prefer to suspect some consumable part has failed. But which ?

First things first: anyone recognize the output artifacts in the image I include? What is the cause?
Second: any thoughts on the other, software/driver presumption?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, lothian.

Is there a self-test page or a page that prints out the parameters of the printer without using any 3rd party software? Please scan and post.

My strong suspicion is that a firmware/driver update caused these simultaneous issues. This would explain the timing and inability to use quality settings. There must be a way to identify the firmware/driver version of your printers and then look on Samsung's site to see what the latest versions are. Maybe you can find older versions and potentially install them to see if it helps.

You might also try uninstalling the printer completely and then reinstalling them. I would try that before reverting back to older firmware/driver versions.

Maybe something with your Operating System is corrupt and causing the issues. a rollback to an earlier time when you didn't have these issues, or checking your OS for corrupt or missing files and then correcting that will do the trick.

You allude to non-OEM toner cartridges. It may be possible that a new firmware flashed to the printers over the internet - without your knowledge - is the culprit. If that is the case then then either changing out all non-OEM to OEM consumables or a different non-OEM consumable may fix it.

I take it you have looked at the User Manual and there is no troubleshooting section for this issue. You could call Samsung Technical Support and ask. What do you have to lose?

------------------------------

Please list your
  • Operating System and version
  • Versions of the printer's firmware/drivers/etc, what software you are using to print
  • Consumables used in each machine (what brand, model number, etc)
------------------------------

I see you have posted your inquiry on other web sites. If you get an answer elsewhere that works then please let us know.

I cannot see the images on the edugeek.net web site, but, on one thread the user's color output was resolved by changing from the Samsung driver to PCL. There was also a suggestion to remove all cartridges and then insert one at a time to reset alignment, calibration and registration. Didn't work for whatever that problem the user suffered but it is something for you to think about.

Last edited:

lothian

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
My strong suspicion is that a firmware/driver update caused these simultaneous issues. This would explain the timing and inability to use quality settings.
Mine also. I realize there's an element of paranoid thinking with this suspicion, and it's not particularly productive toward a solution in any case. Also, where's the outcry from the unwashed masses of Samsung color laser printers suffering similar--and suspiciously timed--output problems? Still...

There must be a way to identify the firmware/driver version of your printers...
Of course there is. Both firmware and Win7 drivers are up-to-date.

Maybe you can find older versions and potentially install them...
Fueling my "Samsung-Conspiracy-to-Force-Purchase-of-OEM-Consumables" speculation, I find no prior firmware/driver versions on the Samsung support website. Suspicious, no?

...try uninstalling the printer completely and then reinstalling them. ...maybe something with your Operating System... looked at the User Manual... call Samsung support... blah blah more drivel blah blah p'ffft...
Man. ...seriously? If it weren't for the fact I just indelibly quoted your comment, I'd ask you to go back and edit this noise from your response..

you have posted your inquiry on other web sites
Oh yes... I'm spamming the interwebs with my dilemma. Hopefully some other human (or otherwise) will recognize the output sample I posted and respond with "Hey! I recognize that problem!" and provide an actual solution.
Edit:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I see you edited your post to make it even more obnoxious. It takes a special kind of stupid to do that, especially with someone trying to help you.

Both you and your printers are malfunctioning. The printers may be fixed. You, doubtful.

lothian

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
wow... two utterly useless responses.
way to bump up your post count, there amigo!

btw... you failed to recommend I reboot both my printer and my computers. consider editing your response to include that vital nugget as well!
Edit:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
wow... two utterly useless responses.
way to bump up your post count, there amigo!

btw... you failed to recommend I reboot both my printer and my computers. consider editing your response to include that vital nugget as well!
Edit:

This is a sure way of not getting much help here....and he didn’t...:p