Samsung CLP-315W with printing errors.

specmaster

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsunf CLP-315
Hi, I have this printer but it keeps printing pages with horizontal lines and smudges in black and sometimes yellow the whole width of the page. When I print a 2nd page, it is possible to see a faint image of the previous page on the paper as well. I have fitted a new set of Samsung branded toner cartridges, cleaned the image drum and also cleaned the transfer belt but the problem is still there. The configuration page shows that the image drum and toner cartridges have loads of life left yet. Anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing this print defect at all?

IMG_20191113_002353.jpgIMG_20191113_002406.jpgIMG_20191113_002422.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My initial thought is this is a drum issue. Concerning color laser printers, though, my knowledge is about the depth and breadth of an electron.

Is the horizontal smudge in the same place on the paper every time or does it come and go and shift positions?

Is the drum OEM or aftermarket and did you notice any irregularities on the surface?

Don't know about transfer belts as I don't recall that part on my monochrome laser printer. Then again, I haven't used a laser printer in years.

specmaster

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsunf CLP-315
Sometimes the black smudge is at the top of the page, others at the bottom, although it did one time produce the self test page without any pronounced smudging on it just a few dots over the page. Another time there was 4 horizontal black smudges 1st one at 45 mm from top of page, 2nd 63 mm, 3rd 90 mm and 4th 150 mm from the top. The yellow ones appeared at 57 mm and 107 mm from the top.

The drum did have 2 very small scratches, 1 at each side of the drum, roughly in line with each other and I believe it is OEM. I do have another after market drum assembly that came with the printer when I acquired it and that does not have the scratches but still produces the smudges.

With the cartridges removed from the printer it is possible to see the previous image still on the transfer belt, does that help at all?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I’m not much good with Colour lasers, :idunno but you could try using new paper and then print 5 or 6 test sheets to see if the image cleans up.. Also can you clean the Corona wire on the drum unit..

specmaster

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsunf CLP-315
I did a Google search on your printer and the first link seems to discuss your issue with the smearing horizontal line across the page.

https://superuser.com/questions/875144/samsung-clp-315-color-laser-printer-makes-horizontal-smear

The ghosting in one of your images seems like the issue discussed at

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1298379
Yeah, thanks for this, I had already come across these links, but they seemed to so vague and because the OP never replied there was no actual conclusion on whether the information was a help or not, hence why asked on the forum in case someone else had the same experience with this printer and resolved it.

I have just won one on eBay that the seller claims prints just fine for half the page and then stops. Googled for this fault and it seems to be a replaceable sensor so thoughts are that when it arrives I can just swap out the faulty sensor for the one in my current printer and then hopefully it should be OK?

specmaster

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsunf CLP-315
I’m not much good with Colour lasers, :idunno but you could try using new paper and then print 5 or 6 test sheets to see if the image cleans up.. Also can you clean the Corona wire on the drum unit..
Thanks, but I have already tried that and the problem is still there. It is possible to still obtain replacement drum rollers on eBay for this printer, so its an option to buy a new drum and try.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When the other printer arrives, why not swap out the transfer belt and try that in yours and if no luck then do the same with the drum unit.. ;)

specmaster

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsunf CLP-315
When the other printer arrives, why not swap out the transfer belt and try that in yours and if no luck then do the same with the drum unit.. ;)
That was also my intention as current one has Wi-Fi as well but new one doesn't. I have not yet checked to see if the Wi-Fi is an add-on unit or built into the main board. Assuming it's an add-on I was planning on transferring it to the new one once the printing problem had been identified, so I can learn from it in case the new one develops the same problem in due course.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Am interested to read your further experiences. Please post to let us know what happens.