Rotary Paper Trimmer

Forsakyn

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've been looking to get a rotary paper trimmer (probably around a 20" cut length). To state the obvious, I want it to be extremely accurate, and I don't mind spending two to three hundred if necessary.

Do any of you have any particular brand preferences? I've been looking at Dahle, Keencut, and so forth, but I don't know if any brand is really notably better. Thanks for your time.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Forsakyn.... looks like you may have to take one for the team on this one! :) If you end up getting one please let us know what you get and your experience.

Tysonic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Most of the research I've done on this has always pointed to RotoTrim.

When people say that they've had one for 10 years and it cuts like brand new, there must be something there.

I haven't made the purchase yet because of the $$ involved, but I'm saving as fast as I can!

Forsakyn

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the recommendation. I'll be ordering one by the end of the week, and will let you know how it works out (their 24" cut length model).

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I just googled this item and one link, just for a forum reference, is http://www.abcoffice.com/monocut.htm. I didn't cieck others to evaluate price, tax, shipping costs, or return policies as I am presently not in the market for this item.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Forsakyn,

I second Tysonic. The best cutters use a rotary wheel that cuts with a scissors action against a fixed steel anvil and which are self-sharpening. I believe that Dahle cutters also fall into this category. Be aware there are other cutters which have a similar description, but which cut by pressing a hardened steel rotary cutter into a sacrificial plastic anvil. These work OK when the anvil is new and the blade is sharp, but the anvil is damaged by the cutter and needs to be rotated after (say) a few hundred cuts and then replaced after (say) 1000 cuts. The cutter also needs to be replaced when its sharp tip gets dull. These units have a lower initial cost and can be a good solution for a casual user.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
My monster Challenge paper cutter (see below) has one of these "sacrificial" plastic anvil's, but I don't think there is any way around it for this type of cutter. On the other hand, do they even make rotary trimmers in the $100+ range that aren't scissor like?

getimg.php

Cuts through two reams of paper like a hot knife through warm butter! I got it at a surplus auction for next to nothing... it's huge and takes up a lot of room, but it's such a fun toy!