Roll Paper Question

Greatwhitewing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor P600
I hope this is a dumb question
I have P600 printer that takes 13" rolls. In shopping for paper I find it hard to tell sometimes if the roll comes in 2" or 3" core

Is it unusable if I get 3" core, intentionally or by accident? Can a spacer be added or is there reasons a 3" roll won't work? Or do ALL 13" rolls come in 2" core?

Thanks and like I said I hope this is a dumb question and I am fretting over nothing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The 3” rolls are a far better option to use, because it has far less curl to it, the 2” roll is a nightmare to use because of that, if you check the reference code on both a 3” and 2” roll on line that will give you a better indication when ordering.

What you need is core reducer to fit your 2” axel, this is where a 3D printer comes in very handy... :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So I CAN use 3" core rolls with an appropriate adapter?
There’s no reason why not too, and they are probably cheaper than the 2” ones...

I would sometimes cut the 610 cm rolls in half when I couldn’t get the 30.5 cm ones that I needed... ;)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There could be a limit to the max diameter of the full roll when loaded onto the printer. It happens that you get not just a wider core diameter but more paper like 50m instead of 30m. You need to check that. Companies supplying roll paper should have 3" to 2" roll adapters available, some deliver them automatically, or you need to order them with other companies.

john kervin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG7120
It wouldn't take a lot of effort to make a little jig that you could rewind the 3 inch core paper onto your 2 inch core. I built something similar but different with a counter in the path for reloading printer ribbon, I powered it with my old Makita 7 volt drill.

Greatwhitewing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor P600
It wouldn't take a lot of effort to make a little jig that you could rewind the 3 inch core paper onto your 2 inch core. I built something similar but different with a counter in the path for reloading printer ribbon, I powered it with my old Makita 7 volt drill.

I was also wondering if I could make a little stand to hold the 3" core but not attached to the printer like the OEM setup does. I think the longer length and thicker papers might have an outside diameter problem with the OEM roll holders if starting with a 3" core. I know alignment would be important. The holders don't seem to offer any intentional drag to keep paper taught. The roll OD isn't stated as far as I have found. Measuring the holders it looks like about 3.5" overall OD is the largest roll it can take without interference.
I does "theoretically possible to modify the OEM holders too but that's a one way street.
Just thinking out loud here. I do more project planning than execution..lol

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you may use a 2" core and wrap some corrugated paper around it to just fit into a 3" core

Core.jpg

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Too simple. It'll never work... :he

This is North America. Better to patent it and charge licensees $10 a pop.

I see that Apple has now patented a cardboard tray to hold pizza slices. I guess it will cost $5.00 per plis data contract. :)