[Review] Canon MX700

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Now that I've had a chance to play with the MX700 I thought I'd do a review so anyone interested could get an idea of what it does and doesn't do..

Overall I'd have to say it's a bit "odd" in that it has a LAN printserver port and yet the printer engine seems to be rather low spec for a workgroup style printer. As an all-in-one for the small office it's good but you wouldn't want this if you wanted to share it with 2 people who needed to print out photos or documents on a regular basis..

Full review here:
http://www.continuousink.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34384#34384

ninethirty

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for that writeup. Given your experience with the MP500-series and MP830, I'll be very interested ot see how you feel the MX700 compares. Pricewise the MX700 is falling right in between the MP530 and the MP830 right now, but with sales they'll be all over the place in the next few weeks. Dell has a sale after rebate that puts the MX700 cheaper than both in the US. I realize the MP530 has a partial duplexer (seems it can do duplex copies and prints but not scans?) and the MX700 has network printing, but I'm very curious how they stack up for print quality, scan quality, convenience, and things like that. If you had the $200/150# to spend right now, which would you get?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ninethirty said:
Thanks for that writeup. Given your experience with the MP500-series and MP830, I'll be very interested ot see how you feel the MX700 compares. Pricewise the MX700 is falling right in between the MP530 and the MP830 right now, but with sales they'll be all over the place in the next few weeks. Dell has a sale after rebate that puts the MX700 cheaper than both in the US. I realize the MP530 has a partial duplexer (seems it can do duplex copies and prints but not scans?) and the MX700 has network printing, but I'm very curious how they stack up for print quality, scan quality, convenience, and things like that. If you had the $200/150# to spend right now, which would you get?
Hmm... In all honesty I think it'd depend entirely on whether I felt the network functionality was vital or not... If not I'd probably go with the MP530 (although bear in mind I've never actually used one!). If it was then I'd probably accept the MX700.

Once the sales fervour disappears I wouldn't buy one of the MX700's at RRP... Instead I'd save up for a print-server and the extra needed to get an MP830.

Thinking about it, I'm really not sure why I didn't really click with this model... but it just doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

collvan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Websnail,
In your post of 10/27/07, you mentioned a print server and the MP830. I've liked the features of the MP830, but it doesn't have networking. Is there a way around that (print server?) Please elaborate. I have a new 24" iMac with Leopard installed.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
collvan said:
Websnail,
In your post of 10/27/07, you mentioned a print server and the MP830. I've liked the features of the MP830, but it doesn't have networking. Is there a way around that (print server?) Please elaborate. I have a new 24" iMac with Leopard installed.
Well your best bet is to get something like this:

http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/products/print-servers/c-6200u.html

I've used 4 of these units now mainly for iP4200 printers but also an MP500 and the MP830 is not really any different.. That said finding a retailer who carries them for less than the stupid money that's charged on many stores like Amazon is a real "fun" task.

Urgh... but then I realise you're using iMac which is unsupported. You could always contact Silex and see if they can recommend any alternatives or indeed canon themselves..

nomad8u

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

ninethirty

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Websnail, thanks for your quick reply. It's interesting that you'd pick the MP530 over the MX700, as the MX700 seems to be intended as a replacement.
For the record -- I checked the fine print of the Dell sale, and it looks like one of the rebates they're advertising is only good if you buy a Canon camera as well. It's not clear from their site, though. So at the moment, the MP530 is still cheaper.
This week, Newegg has a sale on the MP830 that puts it down to $180 shipped, so I'm going to give it a shot. The networking would be nice, but I'm hoping I can work around that by sharing it through a Windows computer. I'm hoping I'll be able to set it up so that it scans into a shared directory on the Windows computer, and then use standard Windows printer sharing to share between the PCs and Macs in the house. The MX700's networking is nicer, since you can scan directly to a client computer, but the MP830 sounds nicer otherwise. It's a pity that they haven't come out with a direct replacement for the MP830 -- the MX700 seems to be aimed more at the MP530's territory.
Another thought about the MX700, though -- perhaps Websnail can confirm this: It sounds like you need Canon's software installed to use the printer over the network, as opposed to a normal network printer driver. I could be wrong, though -- perhaps the software is just required for scanning. But if not, are Linux computers just out of luck?

collvan -- I'm not sure if a setup like that would be an option for you, but if you happen to have a computer near the printer that you're willing to leave on 24/7, you might consider using that as a print server.

And to drag this back onto the original topic -- Websnail, I'm still interested in the comparison of the MX700's scanning, if you ever get the chance. Thanks for the review and thoughts!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ninethirty said:
The networking would be nice, but I'm hoping I can work around that by sharing it through a Windows computer. I'm hoping I'll be able to set it up so that it scans into a shared directory on the Windows computer, and then use standard Windows printer sharing to share between the PCs and Macs in the house.
I'm afraid I know nought about macs so you're on your own there with google as an ally... I'd certainly check around some of the mac forums for more info on this.

The MX700's networking is nicer, since you can scan directly to a client computer, but the MP830 sounds nicer otherwise. It's a pity that they haven't come out with a direct replacement for the MP830 -- the MX700 seems to be aimed more at the MP530's territory.
I fully expect a replacement to come out in time but they seem to only go for a newer version if the existing one is old tech... the MP830 most assuredly isn't old... but the network connection may be enough for them to push out the next unit sooner rather than later. Who knows.

Another thought about the MX700, though -- perhaps Websnail can confirm this: It sounds like you need Canon's software installed to use the printer over the network, as opposed to a normal network printer driver. I could be wrong, though -- perhaps the software is just required for scanning. But if not, are Linux computers just out of luck?
Again I don't know about macs and as for linux I did some digging such that I THINK some canon printers are covered but no idea re: scanning.

And to drag this back onto the original topic -- Websnail, I'm still interested in the comparison of the MX700's scanning, if you ever get the chance. Thanks for the review and thoughts!
I'll see what I can do.. not my strong suit but we'll see :)

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So how does the MP610 and MP970 compare to the MX700 and MP830? I know the MP610 doesn't have fax or networking and the MP970 doesn't have fax. Are the MP610 and MP970 refillable as no one seems to have posted anything about them in the other thread about firmware or something disallowing carts to be refillable. Pricewise, I can get MX700 - $150, MP610 - $140, MP830 - $210 and the MP970 for $240. From looking at specs, photo printing wise, it should go from MP970, MP610/MP830 and then last the MX700? Thanks for your review of MX700.

Latest posts