Resserecting 3880 after TOTAL neglect - oops!

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Wont make excuses, but I am so out of touch that I cant find the shut down and head soak article.
Assistance please.

Explanation/excuse.

Put simply got side tracked into demanding pursuit and super heavy work load, and absolutely neglected my 3880 + everyone here :hugs.............. Just got back to turning it on and off after a forever break. I didnt want to print till I can do a windex cloth soak in situ and then crank it up to see what the damage is :ya:hide:idunno

Can see a bit of free time on the horizon so time to bust out the camera and do a bit of printing again.

Thanks in advance 3dogs

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Roy,
Likewise....
Yes alls well after a fashion...healths not bad, still working too many hours, thats getting harder to cope with. Daughter got married, what an event, had a baby, what an event now her hubby has Crones. Second daughter is off to Switzerland to do a Masters of Law, and will probably stay over there to follow her chosen field..
Patrner is good, she is getting fed up with work, something neither of us ever thought would happen........its just lifes rich padgent unfolding as it does with all its twists and turns........see The Hat is everlasting.... Hello to you...... will renew as I find out what my absence has actually cost me and what can reasoably be done to get going again.......seems printing and printers have undergone big changes......

After thinking on it a bit went to jtoolmans' videos.

Just looking in the guts of the machine is scaring the hell out of me.
done the Windex wiper thing, now going to refill the carts and see what happens.....
I am not confident that I am going to be let off scott free

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @3dogs, glad to have you back, I taught maybe the bloody dingos’ might have got ya.:old
So, you have cleaned the purge unit and wipers, but don’t try to print something just yet, you’ll need to use the paper cloth under the print head trick before you try anything fancy, it would help to leave the print head overnight sitting on the wet nappy, then start in the morning with a few nozzle prints...

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Yes alls well after a fashion...healths not bad, still working too many hours, thats getting harder to cope with. Daughter got married, what an event, had a baby, what an event now her hubby has Crones. Second daughter is off to Switzerland to do a Masters of Law, and will probably stay over there to follow her chosen field..

Well, as men of a "certain age", that all sounds pretty good.

A daughter getting married and then having a baby sounds pretty normal to me too - Congratulations Grandpa!. Although modern society seems to prefer reversing the marriage, child process.

Your new son-in-law suffering from Crohn's is tough. I am familiar with the disease as my Grandson of 13 years has just been diagnosed. He is now undergoing medical treatment to get it under control - the doctors refer to it as remission.

I see trips to Switzerland in your future. Did I tell you I am psychotic! :( Been my experience that children tend to live and work close to where they did their graduate degrees. Couldn't choose a better location than Switzerland. My children choices were far more prosaic.

My experience is that apart from the known ink-switching problem, the 3880 and its printhead is quite robust. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly surprised after a nozzle check and a couple of cleaning cycles.

rs

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi @3dogs, glad to have you back, I taught maybe the bloody dingos’ might have got ya.:old
So, you have cleaned the purge unit and wipers, but don’t try to print something just yet, you’ll need to use the paper cloth under the print head trick before you try anything fancy, it would help to leave the print head overnight sitting on the wet nappy, then start in the morning with a few nozzle prints...

No have not gotten to the wipers and purge unit yet I am sure I looked at that one, but process has all just plain flown out of my head at this time. So current status:
Refilled and re-primed carts where necessary. disabled machine and freed up the Print Head, folded up cloth and wet it with Windex, ran the print head over it and repeated several times.
Upon your advice, with trepidation....

Left the print head overnight but found it bloody uncomfortable sitting on a wet nappy whilst doing it.....fell asleep a couple of times!!
............you better explain how that helps the print head for me!! obviously Im a bit out of touch with these things.

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi to you @Emulator, see you are still producing damn fine images....how many lenses have you added??

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
............you better explain how that helps the print head for me!! obviously Im a bit out of touch with these things.
Leaving the nappy in place is better than a purge for loosing up any dried ink, but it is doing much the same as a purge clean, just slightly better, you should reap the benefits of it when you go to do your first print...

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi, 3dogs, glad to see you have returned to the fold. Believe it or not I have not added a single lens since the 70-200.

You certainly have been busy. Incidentally my daughter lives in Switzerland with her family, been there about 30 years.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Leaving the nappy in place is better than a purge for loosing up any dried ink, but it is doing much the same as a purge clean, just slightly better, you should reap the benefits of it when you go to do your first print...

Oh! So I was supposed to leave the print head sitting on a nappy..........silly me, misread that one:th:weee

Last edited: