[Research] Canon firmware "upgrade" kills reset ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Right... rather than stumble about like I did last time we hit all the fun and games of Canon printers and what was the new "chip" functionality can we get some definitive information together about whether this reported firmware "upgrade" is in fact true.

As per this forum post here:
http://mis.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=503

.. there is a report that Canon have started producing printers that do not allow for or have the functionality to allow printers owners to "Reset" their printers, ie: accept a cartridge has been refilled or used in a CIS and disable ink monitoring while accepting warranty liability.

The problem is I have found no other evidence to support this report for any other printers than some models of the iP4300 and obviously I'd like to be sure before taking things to the next level.

So, has anyone found any other reports of this sort of functionality in newer Canon printers, ie:
- iP3500, iP4500
- MP600, MP610
- MP810, MP970
- MX300, MX310, MX700

If you want to contribute to this thread please follow this protocol.

- Quotes (include the URL reference, or publication details (if a printed article).
- Problems you're experiencing directly (Please start a separate thread about the problem and provide a URL reference to it)

The aim is to use this thread as a reference the information/analysis rather than clog it with multiple threads compiled into one which helps no-one.

Thanks for your help... Me, I'm off to see if I can buy a new printer and see if I can remove any question marks.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I find the rumours very upsetting. I think Canon's attempt to completely stops any refill attempt will certainly collide with European Laws which prohibit any electronical or software barriers to prevent the use of aftermarket cartridges or being refilled.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
pharmacist said:
I find the rumours very upsetting. I think Canon's attempt to completely stops any refill attempt will certainly collide with European Laws which prohibit any electronical or software barriers to prevent the use of aftermarket cartridges or being refilled.
Well that's part of my point... Before we go off half cocked making assumptions it would be good to have facts rather than supposition and guesswork and creating a big rumour.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I thought ip4500 is same to ip4300 but with different (new) firmware. But it turns out that ip4500 is a different printer with more nozzles. So the firmware is not the only difference between the two. And the difference has to do with more nozzles, if not just to disallow refilling. Based on this I believe (or hope) it is only a rumor. If the newer printers shut off the possibility for refilling obviously I have no more reason to buy Canon printers.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
In the interests of getting this information while I actually have the time to "play" I've ordered in the RX700 and the iP4500...

My plan is simple enough:
- get the printers
- pop some cartridges I have that are still "valid" in and test
- pop in one cartridge that's been registered empty
- pop in ALL cartrdges already registered as empty.

... oh and "pray!".

If they don't work I'll put the whole lot on ebay and sell them off with printhead installed and the original OEM's included and get most of my cash back. If they do work.. I know a school or two that'll take them... and then I'll drip feed you the results in return for Amazon books I want for Chrimbo.

... oops, did I say the last bit out loud? ;)

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Ip4500 is sold at $99.00 at Fry's Electronics this weekend starting yesterday.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Updated the list of printers as I found the MX300 and MX310 MFD's are 2 tank models (ie: all colour tanks in one cartridge) so they're unlikely to be much use for refilling or CIS (printhead is built into cart) :/

So the printer list is now:

- iP3500, iP4500
- MP600, MP610
- MP810, MP970
- MX700

Judging from this thread though:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=14439#p14439

... the MP600 may not be affected so fingers crossed this is down to some spurious issues rather than firmware trickery.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Websnail: you can add the IX4000 as well, since mine has been turned into a CISS-system with all the chips been disabled. It now works a a friend of mine. She uses it to print a lot of pictures for herself and others.....Most likely it should be true for the IX5000 as well.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
pharmacist said:
Websnail: you can add the IX4000 as well, since mine has been turned into a CISS-system with all the chips been disabled. It now works a a friend of mine. She uses it to print a lot of pictures for herself and others.....Most likely it should be true for the IX5000 as well.
Whoops... Should clarify... the list of printers in my original post and the one above are unknowns... I did actually know about the IX4000 myself but thanks for mentioning it anyways :)

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail,... In your original post you mentioned "Some models of the ip4300". To my knowledge there is only one model of the ip4300. This is an old printer and there have been all kinds of new printers brought out by Canon that still have the ability of reset the ink monitor. I have been told that the process for resetting the ink monitor function in defined in detail in each owners manual for each printer. I have not verified that but I have verified that my iP6600D will reset and still function.

Also, some people adding to your post are getting your list confused. They think you have created a list of know printers that won't allow resetting. How about clearing this up. Same thing as the ip4300's,... who has one that "Won't Reset"?????

I have about 10 iP4200's and all have good Canon ink carts, so I won't be able to test any of them before I sell them. I first have to get them in working condition and top off all the ink. It will be very important to know if anyone has every had such a problem with the iP4200, or any Canon Printer.

I was made aware vis another forum that the "Chipped Cartridge Reset" function was all put in place after HP was caught up in a class action suit about their chipped carts. Some time later Canon came out with Chipped carts and each machine so far has had the built in logic in the device driver software to enable "Reset" at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.