Replacing "setup" carts with setup carts??

randyr5

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550
I recently purchased a Canon TS9020. As you know, it came with "setup" carts, which I have heard must be used when initially setting up the printer. I would like to get another set of carts. There are people on ebay selling sealed sets of OEM carts, but they are also "setup" carts. Is it OK to replace a setup cart with another setup cart, or will that screw things up with the printer?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is it OK to replace a setup cart with another setup cart
Never heard of a problem doing this.

However, the setup cartridges MAY have less volume of ink, for instance due to an additional barrier Canon fashions inside the setup cartridges. If you are going to use them for refilling then you will be refilling much more often.

If you are going to refill I would recommend a set of the XL cartridges which hold more ink and therefore decrease the rate of having to refill.

If these printers are still $50 then consider buying another one for the ink and having a spare print head.

randyr5

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550
Thanks. Good idea. Our local Microcenter has them right now for $39.99

Update - I read in another thread that a full 271(not XL) cart weighs 22 grams. I just weighed a full "setup" cart and it weighs 21.5g with the orange bottom seal removed, so it looks like it is a full capacity cart.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it looks like it is a full capacity cart.
By weight maybe but the issue is volume of ink.

Do the starter cartridges of that model contain the same amount of ink as equivalent store bought ones? If so, great. If not, then a PITA due to increased refills required.

Look again at your link. I have posted ink volumes for these cartridge models. There is significantly more ink in the XL cartridges.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I am almost sure the CLI-x51 and CLI-x71 setup and standard cartridges have the same nominal capacity of 7ml. The XL version of these carts have a nominal capacity of 11ml.

Nominal capacities means the amount of ink filled into the cartridges at the factory. The useful capacities are less as you cannot empty the cartridge 100%.

Edit: the CLI-x71 cartridges are not exactly the same capacity as CLI-x51 cartridges, see this post.

Last edited: