replacing new cartridge...error u140

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys. Finally had to start replacing some ink cartridges in my refurb mp990 and after replacing a few, ran into a problem w/ the gray ink. When I replace the gray ink, it complains that it cannot recognize the ink tank (on ALL colors for some reason). If I replace it with the old one, it complains that there's no ink, but it works fine otherwise.

the ink is from my second refurb mp990 i bought, so it's canon oem ink.

Anyone ran into this problem? Any reason why inserting the new gray ink would cause it to not recognize any of the ink carts? Most of the time when I insert the cart, it lights up red, but after closing the top, it complains about the error again. When I open it back up, none of the lights are on until I take out the gray...then all of the other lights go back on.

Should I try to clean the contacts or something? Should I try contacting canon?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If your printer is still under warranty, call Canon.

Error U140 - ink tank is not recognized. This is a problem with the chip being recognized. Try cleaning the contacts of the chip and try inserting again. You may want to make sure the contacts withing the print head are clean as well. You can use a good pencil eraser or an alcohol sway or isopropyl alcohol on a lint free cloth.

Try another cartridge if the above does not resolve the issue. Sometimes a chip is bad from the factory.

ohata0

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I only have the 1 extra cartridge...I ordered ink refill supplies today, but i'd have to wait for it (and also refill for the first time)

If I try to clean the contacts, will that void any warranty (or cause problems w/ canon) for the chip? I believe my 90 day warranty ran out w/ the refurb, but I'll try contact canon and see if I'd have to pay to have them check the chip.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ohata0 said:
If I try to clean the contacts, will that void any warranty (or cause problems w/ canon) for the chip? I believe my 90 day warranty ran out w/ the refurb, but I'll try contact canon and see if I'd have to pay to have them check the chip.
Cleaning contacts will not void your warranty. Using cartridges/chip/ink that is not OEM Canon will not make Canon happy and they might say you caused the problem. But you were using a Canon OEM cartridge when the error occurred.

The error is most likely a bad chip or poor electrical contact between the chip and the print head. Canon may help you (eg send you a free cartridge replacement) if you are just over your warranty period, especially if you have been using Canon products and considered a "loyal" customer. If this is your first Canon product and you are well over your warranty, you will probably have to buy a new cartridge instead of Canon sending you one for free. That an old empty cartridge is properly showing you "empty" and not an error code like 'U140" is an indicator the problem most likely is a bad chip or poorly oriented chip that makes poop contact with the print head. Still, you can try cleaning the contacts and giving it a try again.

If you are going to refill, use the ink from the error reporting cartridge at the next refill. No need to waste that liquid gold.