Replacement Laser Printer that will accept 3rd Party Toner

FozzieBear

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother HL-4040cn
Following leakage of toner into the belt and drum unit etc, its not cost effective to have my HL-4040cn repaired/serviced. I have therefore decided to get a replacement, the main benefits of changing being Auto Duplex and AirPrint compatibility.

I was going for another Brother printer and like the HL-3150 CDW but the toner is very expensive and the number of pages per Hi Yield toner is much less than my existing 4040CN. I have also looked at the OKI C511dn and C531dn but they are bigger (much longer) than my existing Brother and I don't think it will fit in the printer cabinet without changing the hinges.

I have always dismissed HP printers because of the problems I have had with their ink jets over the years, however the old HP 1100 and 1200 mono lasers go on for years. I have therefore considered the HP200 M252Dw
Has anyone got any experience with the quality of newer HP Laser printers particularly this model?

Also I believe the Brother HL-3150CDW does NOT have "chipped" toner cartridges so is much more forgiving with the use of third party toner. Is this correct? (There are various videos on the internet on how to refill these yourself and reset the toner level warning!)
Does the same apply to the HP 200 colour laser or will it throw a wobbly with non genuine toner?
Any advice would be appreciated

FozzieBear

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother HL-4040cn
Anybody?