Replace head on Pro-100?

gscotten

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, Canon MX922
I am getting the dreaded B200 error on my Pro-100. I have a spare printhead, but cannot get the print head to move to the center where I can replace it. Is there a trick?

Thanks,
George

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is there a trick?
NO...
That happens when you leave the head change to late and you ignored the first B200 warning.

You could try unplugging the printer for ½ an hour then plug the power lead in and power on the printer using the On/Off button but hold it in for 30 seconds, this sometime causes a reset.

If that fails then you’ll have to do what I did and pull the top cover off the printer to gain access to the gears that control the print head lock, it’s not a nice job at all..

gscotten

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
NO...
That happens when you leave the head change to late and you ignored the first B200 warning.

You could try unplugging the printer for ½ an hour then plug the power lead in and power on the printer using the On/Off button but hold it in for 30 seconds, this sometime causes a reset.

If that fails then you’ll have to do what I did and pull the top cover off the printer to gain access to the gears that control the print head lock, it’s not a nice job at all..
Thanks. This was the first error of any kind on this printer, although B200 has been the demise of two other Canon printers. (MX 860 and MX 922)

I had printed five 8x10s and decided to reprint one of them. Clicked "Print" in Qimage and got the error before the printer even started up. Because of my history with the other two printers, I immediately decided to replace the printhead with my spare. (I had bought an extra printer for parts back when they were $59 about eight years ago.)

I tried unplugging for around 10 minutes, then two hours, then six hours to no avail. I also tried the long hold on the power button. I then figured out how to get the side cover off, but still had no access due to an inner cover. So I quit and went to bed, figuring that in the morning I would either fix it or destroy it trying to open it up. I figured a Pro-200 was in my immediate future.

This morning I plugged it back in and it came up without the error! I opened the top cover and replaced the print head and it is now working perfectly again. I don't feel bad about the print head dying. I have printed a lot in the past eight years. Hopefully, this will last another eight.

Thanks again for your help!

George

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This morning I plugged it back in and it came up without the error!
Thanks for the feedback and your good outcome, I was forced to remove some of the top cover and then use a dremel to cut an extra piece out to get to the print head lock switch..

P.S. I tried to run a head clean after I’d got the Error, and that’s why mine locked up..
Hole.jpg

gscotten

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I was afraid it was going to come to something like that! Now at least I know where to cut. :) The nice thing about working on a dead machine is that you can't make it any worse.

Interesting to see the Pro-200 uses the exact same head as the Pro-100. That means we should be able to buy replacements for a while yet.

Thanks for your help and all you do for this forum!
George

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
cut an extra piece out to get to the print head lock switch..
Is this for your Pro 10? OP has a Pro 100.

Is the configuration of the print head lock switch the same for both printers?

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO100,200|1430,P600,P800|HP
Just wanted to chime in to say a PRO-100 of mine was facing the same B200 error and the printhead was not budging from where it normally rests. I held the power button for 30 seconds during the power on phase and that got the printer moving again! I pulled the plug and moved the printhead to the center so I could replace it. Saved me a lot of time and from what it sounds like, frustration of having to remove the cover. Thank you