Removing OEM label from refill hole CLi-8

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
This is a trivial but nonetheless awkward problem. Has anyone found any easy way to remove the very well attached label from over the refilling hole (where it says "PUSH") on a Canon CLi-8 cartridge? I know it only has to be done once but I'm getting on a bit and my eyesight isn't what it was. I'm worried about damaging the area around the hole with a craft knife, making it susceptible to poor sealing with the silicone bung. (Or am I worrying unnecessarily?)

Andy

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Maybe this will help: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=54599#p54599

If you don't force it, it won't break.

This is a cli-526 where I started to peel off the label:
<-- click to enlarge
If you start at that end you don't risk damaging the hole, and the cut is made to be sure the peeling stops before you reach the maze.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The last time I worked on a CLi-8, I found the label was almost welded on to the cartridge and came off in bits, it would not peel as in the past. However the cartridge body was undamaged.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/5268_img_3100_copy_edited-1.jpg I use this small home made punch 5/16" diameter or nearly as good is a very sharp medical/modelling scapel Swann Morton the UK.

I agree the labels are very tough. Sometimes if the ball has not been drilled too far and the screw eye is only inserted a couple of threads I will reuse the original ball. It snaps in nice and tight. Just to be safe I add a piece of tape and invert the cart to check no leaks before putting it away or in the printer gets over head clearance problems as well

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Rjettek sells replacement balls for those carts. I don't know if there is any advantage to using them or simply plugging up the refill hole.

I just use plugs on the CLI-8s

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
All the labels tend to be stuck down differently some come off easy,
but then others as Emulator said wont budge, so I dont bother pulling at it.

I drill a small hole in the top of the cartridge instead and seal the hole after refilling with hot glue,
it save a lot of trouble trying to get the ball out as well.. :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you want to remove the ball and use the original factory fill hole you only need to remove the label around the ball - not the whole label. An exacto knive or scalpel works just fine and you can follow the edge of the hole with the tip of the blade to cut a neat circle You won't damage the hole for resealing. Several companies, including Precision Colors, make silicone plugs to resseal the hole after the ball is removed. I've used the stainless screw/O-ring reseal technique after making a hole between where the ball is located and the close end of the cart. Read the old thread on resealing the fill hole. Many techniques.

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
Thanks to all for your ever-helpful advice. I've also acquired a large magnifying glass on a stand which helps a lot.
Andy

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to add... If you're concerned about damaging the hole, you always have the backup of using Aluminium tape to seal the hole after refilling.

Even if you have damaged the hole such that a plug won't seal properly, the Alu' tape should provide the backup seal you need.