Reflector squares on CD Print Tray for ip500???

MowermanEd

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello all, newbie member here. I have ordered an ip5000 that will arrive in 2 days. I currently use an Epson R200 to print my CD's but I hate Epson printers and have sold it. I also own a Canon i960 as my main photo printer. I bought the ip5000 because it shares the same carts as my i960. I have been useing aftermarket carts for over a year that I purchase from Abacus.com for $1.85 each and am VERY pleased with the results. I've fabricated 2 CD trays, one out of 2 sheets of formica glued together and another from a solid piece of fiberglass signboard that I have routed out an area for the CD to lay. I have a supply of VERY shiny aluminum tape used to seal ductwork and wondered if this would be OK to use on the trays for the reflector areas? OR, should I use whiteout to paint the reflector square? Both trays have been painted flat black. Thanks to all who reply.

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
It wouldn't hurt anything to try the tape and if that doesn't work to then use whiteout. I like your way of using Formica and signboard for the trays. They should be much more durable than using cardboard. How about posting a photo or two of the completed units? If you are happy with using prefilled cartridges you may not want to change, but because you obviously are mechanically inclined you might want to look at refilling. The cost savings will be even greater than using prefilled cartridges.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I use that aluminum tape on the trays I made.
They have been working for six months ok.
I made my trays from those thin dvd holders from the dollar store.They hold the dvd perfectly and only need shaved down a little on one side to fit.I think my tray is about 4mm high, including the CD and it gets sucked in/ spat out no problem.
I use an IP3000 and IP5000.

MowermanEd

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
DRC023,

I refilled my OEM carts for well over a year but have had such good success with the Abacus carts/ink that it just wasn't worth the trouble of refilling anymore. I use Ilford Gallerie smooth gloss or Office Depot Professional glossy for photos and the colors match my screen perfectly using the Photo Paper Pro setting on my i960driver.

MowermanEd

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
LOL :) my wife got me a new desk for Christmas. Haven't had it long enough to clutter it up yet.

MowermanEd

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My ip5000 arrived today and it prints CD's quickly and beautifully! I had no problems changing the service mode to the European version. Much much brighter and clearer printing than from my Epson R200. I at first tried to use my homemade tray that I fabricated from formica. It got hung up, or, I should say it seemed to slip and the first CD was a disaster. So I tried the fiberglass tray that I had made and it worked like a charm. A few alignment issues that will need tweeked from the software but almost perfect on the first try. I am one happy camper!!! To answer my original question, yes, the shiny aluminum tape worked just fine. Why I didn't get one of these printers sooner I don't know. It's photo quality is equal to my i960 to my eyes.

Latest posts